Recent Purchases (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've 'found' a Classic Airframes 1/48th scale kit for the Meteor NF.11 on e-bay, which is rarer than rocking horse sh*t , and could be built and finished as a NF.12 for the 46 Sqn project.
Keeping my eye on it, and if it doesn't go up to silly money, I'll make a bid for it, as I'd rather give the Squadron a 1/48th scale example, than the small 1/72nd scale kit that's on the way to me.

Just had a reply , from the seller, to my question asking if he had a 'Buy it Now' price. It seems he has two of these kits, which he bought some time ago from the USA, but has never got around to building them, in the colours of the Squadron he served on, with Meteor NF 11,12 and 14, in 1951 in Germany.
The tone of the reply suggests he's willing to accept a 'Buy it Now' price, but he omitted to confirm this, or suggest a price, so I'm just waiting for his reply to my second message - might be in luck !

Meanwhile, the 1/72nd scale kit I ordered has arrived, this being the Xtrakit example, apparently ex- Matchbox, which looks quite nice, and lacks the trench-like panel lines normally found on Matchbox kits.
Other items from the same order are a couple of tins of Xtracolor enamel paint, another Eduard coloured PE set for another Mossie build, along with a 'Yahu' Mosquito FB.VI instrument panel which I thought I'd try - and it's far superior to the Eduard example, and ready made too !
The other two items are a pair of 1/48th scale vac-formed canopies, from Rob Taurus, for Mosquito B.IV and FB.VI, which are superbly moulded, and quite rigid, more like injection-moulded pieces.
The close-up shots show the 'Yahu' instrument panel, taken through two layers of polythene bags, and the Mosquito B.IV canopy, which also includes the transparent nose cone.

Buys 460.JPG
Buys 457.JPG
Buys 455.JPG
Buys 456.JPG
Buys 458.JPG
Buys 454.JPG
Buys 462.JPG
Buys 464.JPG

Thanks chaps.
The canopies are possibly the best I've seen, in over 50 years of modelling, in vac-form or injection moulded !
Beautifully formed, crystal clear, with lightly raised and engraved frame detail, and the rivet lines for the internal frames on the inside, they are thicker than the 'average' vac-formed canopy, and quite rigid. It took me around two hours to remove the 'Bomber' canopy from the mould form, but the way it's designed and moulded provided a precise and easy separation, with clean-up and trimming being less risky, due to the 'textured' excess plastic, and the rigidity of the part - very impressed !
The 'Yahu' instrument panel is a work of art, and a model in its own right. The instrument faces are sharp and clear, and 'sandwiched' between the rear panel and the fascia panels, which have a smooth, matt black finish, and include 'bare metal' screws and some of the switches. The writing on the placards is clear and readable - with a magnifying glass - and the instruments themselves look real, with even the smallest dials, on the engine instrument panel, being legible. They are also ready assembled - no fiddly alignment and gluing to do - and ready to attach to the kit part.
I haven't yet opened the pack to have a closer look, but from what I've seen just drooling over them in the two poly bags, they leave the Eduard items dead in the water !
I'll post a decent pic when I've unpacked the panel.

Never heard of Yahu before. They certainly look spiffy.

Edit: just did a shufti around the site and found there are 2 shops in Canada that carry the products. 14$CAN for a Japanese Zero plus shipping. There are 2 different options, Mitsubishi and Nakajima, the colour differences are very subtle

Last edited:
I got a 1/72 PC-9A in the mail on Thursday - it was for the collection that would likely never get built, but thats OK because a) it was a reasonable price and b) I could use it to master a 1/48 shape from (and Vac-form a fuselage and wing shape).

Alas, it arrived looking like it had been run over - canopy crushed, resin crushed, injected plastic really bent... Box destroyed (so no point it going into the not to be built collection). I have set the plastic aside to relieve itself (its coming back to it correct shape it seems), but yeah... Rather depressed by that one!

Dan

Generally the modelling and especially the kind of modelling you are going to follow isn't the cheapest. Haven't you known?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back