Reheat Instrument Bezels and Decals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

kgambit

Tech Sergeant
May 29, 2006
North Carolina
I have an OLD Revell He 162 1:72 kit on the workbench that is requiring some extensive add-ons. The kit comes with NO instrument panel, open wheel bays (that you can see ALL the way thru the kit) and a few otherareas that need some cosmetic work. I thought it would be a fun quick build but the shortcomings are just too blatant to let pass. So I have closed off the wheel bays, and done a few other touch-ups but it looks like I am going to need to scratch build an instrument panel.

So here's what I need some help on. I've done some research and it looks like Reheat Models manufactured a set of Instrument Bezels and Instrument decals in 1.72 scale but sadly are no longer in business. I managed to find ONE store that MIGHT have what I am looking for, but I can not tell which of these MIGHT be useful:

Reheat Models RH08. MODERN VINTAGE INSTRUMENTS. 1:72.

Reheat Models RH021. "VINTAGE" INSTRUMENT BEZELS. 1:72

Reheat Models RH027. INSTRUMENT BEZELS "MULTIPLES". 1:72

Reheat Models RH033. Modern Vintage COCKPIT SWITCH CONTROLS. 1:72

Can one of you learned gentlemen please tell me which if any of these would work for WWII vintage (say 1939 to 1945) aircraft?

And if ANYONE knows where I can find a set of the Instrument Decals in 1/72 scale I would be MOST grateful. :D

Cheers.

Ordered the He 162 sets this morning. :D

Still curious about the Reheat Bezels though. Anyone know if the "Vintage" sets are what is needed for WWII aircraft? I have a couple of other older kits that have need some instrument panel updates as well.

Ordered the He 162 sets this morning. :D

Still curious about the Reheat Bezels though. Anyone know if the "Vintage" sets are what is needed for WWII aircraft? I have a couple of other older kits that have need some instrument panel updates as well.

I'm not sure what you're asking because I've never seen any of the Reheat products. At 1/72 I think you'll be okay getting them as close as you can to any photo details you can find by painting and bugging them to match. I mean, at that miniscule size that kind of detail just wouldn't get to my eyes to judge one way or the other. At larger scales your options begin to expand in the after market.

Sweb,

I was just wondering about whether the Vintage classification was suitable for WW2 is all. It probably isn't THAT important at 1/72 scale and all.

I guess I'll find out in a bit anyway. I managed to find someone who was clearing out his 1/72 collection and ordered those sets from him. The price was ridiculously low so even if they don't work I'm not out any serious cash. I should have them in a couple of days. I've already promised Evan a few of the bezels in an exchange for some decals. :D

Last edited:
Sweb,

I was just wondering about whether the Vintage classification was suitable for WW2 is all. It probably isn't THAT important at 1/72 scale and all.

I guess I'll find out in a bit anyway. I managed to find someone who was clearing out his 1/72 collection and ordered those sets from him. The price was ridiculously low so even if they don't work I'm not out any serious cash. I should have them in a couple of days. I've already promised Evan a few of the bezels in an exchange for some decals. :D

Gotcha. Bezels can be compared. There are various sites with photo documentation of various period aircraft (i.e, WWI, WWII) that you can draw your own conclusions from. The bezels I've seen first hand (I'm an aircraft mechanic) are not so different across the years. Fact is, there's only so many ways to retain an instrument in a panel. These days it's all glass cockpits and the steam gauges (colloquial for dial type) have gone the way of the Dodo Bird. But, when I did have to change them many were screw-in from the front. Later on the whole instrument panel was hinged horizontally at the bottom support with a piano hinge. It tilted aft exposing the retaining clamps that secured the instruments (Boeing, Douglas, Lockheed, etc) where the clamps remained a semi-permanent part of the panel and the instrument slid in to the bezel. The bezels had no visible means of retention from the business side. This was the practice before glass cockpits became the norm. On older puddle jumpers and small twins the bezels were square with screw retention from the front through to removable threaded inserts in the panel. This method is still in use in aircraft that aren't equipped with multi function displays (MFD) that are switchable from flight, to engine and systems displays in one single display (glass cockpit), and are quite cheap comparatively speaking.

If anyone else needs a set of the Reheat Bezels, you can order them from the following site:

https://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/index.htm

and you want to navigate to this page:

https://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/kits/decals.htm#After Market

They stll have the following available:

Reheat Models (UK). RH08. MODERN VINTAGE INSTRUMENTS - 3 sheets, many styles. 1:72. MIP. $7.50
Note: These are actually instrument DECALS

Reheat Models (UK). RH027. INSTRUMENT BEZELS "MULTIPLES". 1:72 brass detail. MIP. $7.50
Note: These are groups of brass instrument bezels - from 2 to 12 instruments in a cluster

Gasoline Alley Antiques is located in Seattle, Washington and they ship overseas.

Last edited:
Good info K, glad you found them too.

Yep, glad you got what you started out to get. One thing I'm confused about is the use of the word bezel here. The bezel is the front surround (frame) of the instrument and does not include the dial face and glass. Hence my lengthy dissertation in a prior post here.

Yep, glad you got what you started out to get. One thing I'm confused about is the use of the word bezel here. The bezel is the front surround (frame) of the instrument and does not include the dial face and glass. Hence my lengthy dissertation in a prior post here.

That's how Reheat labels them - as bezels. I'm probably not describing them well but basically the parts are etched brass and represent everything EXCEPT the dial face and the glass that would be visible from the front of the instrument panel. Like an altimeter without the glass, needle or the plate (dial face?) with the altitude markings. It's like a photoetch instrument panel with the actual panel supporting panel removed and ONLY the individual instruments surrounds remaining.

Here's a picture of what I mean:

pan03.jpg

ANd here's an image of the instrument face decals:

pan02.jpg

with a close up:

rh010-b.jpg

They're INCREDIBLY small and if you hate photoetch avoid them like the plague. But some kits with ZERO instrument details (like the Airfix 1/72 Hs 123) it's a nice way to be able to build a decent instrument panel for the cockpit.

Last edited:
That's how Reheat labels them - as bezels. I'm probably not describing them well but basically the parts are etched brass and represent everything EXCEPT the dial face and the glass that would be visible from the front of the instrument panel. Like an altimeter without the glass, needle or the plate (dial face?) with the altitude markings. It's like a photoetch instrument panel with the actual panel supporting panel removed and ONLY the individual instruments surrounds remaining.

Here's a picture of what I mean:

pan03.jpg

ANd here's an image of the instrument face decals:

pan02.jpg

with a close up:

rh010-b.jpg

They're INCREDIBLY small and if you hate photoetch avoid them like the plague. But some kits with ZERO instrument details (like the Airfix 1/72 Hs 123) it's a nice way to be able to build a decent instrument panel for the cockpit.

That is some remarkable stuff. Now I see what you were chasing. Well worth the search.

Yep, they look the part too when used right! Seen a scratchbuilt panel made using them - just fantastic!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back