Remember the ol' Monogram B-17G?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chicoartist

Airman 1st Class
1Lt. Jerold "Newky" Newquist and the original crew of "Chow-hound", a B-17G-15-BO serial 42-31367, assigned to the 322nd BS (LG-R code), 91st BG, Bassingbourn. Photo dated 12 March 1944.

Chow-hound and the entire 1Lt. Jack Thompson crew of nine men were lost on the 8 August mission to a target SE of Caen, France. Five minutes prior to the target a flak shell entered the waist and exploded, breaking the aircraft in two.

CHow_Hound_250_web.gif

Wade

1Lt. Jerold "Newky" Newquist and the original crew of "Chow-hound", a B-17G-15-BO serial 42-31367, assigned to the 322nd BS (LG-R code), 91st BG, Bassingbourn. Photo dated 12 March 1944.

Chow-hound and the entire 1Lt. Jack Thompson crew of nine men were lost on the 8 August mission to a target SE of Caen, France. Five minutes prior to the target a flak shell entered the waist and exploded, breaking the aircraft in two.

CHow_Hound_250_web.gif

Wade

I salute them!:salute:

A mate of mine had that kit, which I borrowed for a time to study details. The 'chow hound' name and LG-R codes are familiar, so his must have come with those markings.

To the crew of 31367 :salute:

My father put that kit together, it was a 1/48 scale kit. Unfortunately after my parents divorced, the kit was banged up pretty bad. Right now it is sitting on a workbench awaiting repair. I remember playing with that plane a lot as a child. There are at least a hundred + models planes at my fathers house, not to mention armor. I should probably repair the models, they were nice, and it is a shame what happened to them.

Hey guys,

Yes, that kit brings back a lot of memories for us - that whole Monogram line kept me off the streets! I remember distinctly when the Monogram P-51D came out in 1978 or so - it retailed for $1.50!

Oh, the B-17G came with both "Chow Hound" and "El Lobo II" (the silver bird) markings.

Speaking of those kits, you'll love these links:

All about that B-17G kit and later incarnations:
History of the 1/48 B-17

Remember this guy? He's still around, and hopefully that promised book about his life and work will come out soon:
Sheperd Paine - Home page

Wade

Sure do remember him! He did a great diorama of the Monogram B-17 which has shed it's undercarriage on landing. I still have his article on it with my things in NZ. Glad to hear he's still around.

I built one for my dad (he was in the 9th AF) a few years back before he passed away. After he died I brought it home. Some of the gun barrels had broken off and he had stuck toothpicks in their places (never thought of that myself!). I cleaned it up a bit and it's now flying high above my O scale train layout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back