Reminder to new users - Image Sizing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
This is a bit of a pet peeve with me. Several newcomers to the site seem to be uploading pictures that are excessively large in size and need to be told that it is not necessary to attach pictures to their threads that are 1, 2, and sometimes 4Mb in size. To see the size of your pictures, all you have to do is hover your mouse over the picture once it has been posted and there will be a pop-up box with the file size.

I consistently load pictures of adequate quality that are less than 100 kB in size and most are just about 50kB. I would encourage everyone to do the same.

One method to reduce photo attachments has been covered here: Announcements - Signature/General Pics Upload

For anyone with Photoshop, pictures that are reduced to 800 pixels in width can be saved at Medium Quality at less than 100kB and still be perfectly adequate for posting.:

PS Sample.jpg

There are other methods that I'm sure others will attach to this thread so please pay attention and help keep the posts to a manageable size.

If the mods think this post is out of line, I'll not be offended if it is deleted.

I agree, it sucks to have the page jump all about while large pictures load.
Load em' up kids, just make sure they are the right size!
If an old b@stard like me can figure this out, so can you!

for those that dont have the software shown, simply use Microsoft Manager or other similar generic picture manager. Im not aware of any such packages that dont have image sizing functionality. Set your image size to a maximum of about 650 pixels width

If you make the resolution at 72 megapixles, the max width would be 800 wide! Easy peasy.
The usual post size would be about 600 for okay resolution.
For submitting in group builds use 800 wide.

If you're at work, or have it on your home computer, Microsoft Office will give several easy options. The most useful are 'Document Small' - 800 x 600 px or 'Web Large' - 448 x 336 px.

It takes about four clicks :)

Steve

I agree with all, and another, very simple editing programme, which is FREE to download, is 'Irfanview'.
And please, whenever possible, upload direct to the forum - there is no need to use a tiresome image - hosting site, which can often slow things down, and the images can be withdrawn after some time.

And you're only as old as the woman you feel. Now b*gg*er off and stop making so much darned noise - it's time for my nap. Darned kids these days ...................

Correct me if I'm p*ssing against the wrong house here, but.....didn't the not so old forum, before the latest upgrade or whatever, automatically limit the size of the pics, to the 600x800?
I remember we were talking about it and I think that Horse made it happen, or am I off the mark?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back