Returning to Modeling after a 27 year hiatus!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SuperFire

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
TX
Hello,

I am returning to modeling after a 27 year hiatus. I modeled a great deal as a child and young teen, but around 15 girls took over my interest, and after that real life arrived and I "hit the ground running." I am in my 40's now, mature family, and enough spare money and time to devote to serious modelling again.

I found two 1:48 Scale (the only scale I work in) Bomber kits at an estate sale for cheap, and they sat in my closet for a few weeks until I finally decided I was going to model again. I went out and spent 125 dollars on Testors oil-based paints and brushes and rattle cans and glue, and the accouterments of modeling that I was familiar with in the 80's. I set up a dedicated modeling desk in my master bedroom, and broke out a kit. Then I started looking at the modeling forums, and many things have changed from what I am familiar with.

I hope to learn new techniques, and paints and gear, and make a few friends here. I am apparently a "modeling dinosaur" as far as the way I understand how to build a model now-a-days, but am eager to learn, and produce some quality kits.

~SuperFire

Thank you for the welcome. I apologize about it being in the wrong sub-forum. I'll take closer note.

Welcome aboard. Many of us were in a similar boat, having returned to the hobby after more "serious" pursuits. I think the biggest changes to the hobby since the 80's would be the proliferation of airbrush use, "Future", and lots of aftermarket stuff now being available. Oh, and tube cement seems to be a thing of the past.

welcome. Looking forward to some pictures of your work as it progresses. the guys here are marvellous so don't hesitate to ask questions as you need to.

A good feature of the modelling section are the group builds, which tends to focus us and orient us to a common theme. There are three levels of "competition" (competition is a gross mis-representation of what goes on) which has its own section and worth a look some time.

Once again its a pleasure to welcome to aboard.

Hello again, now here.

As friends of plastic and glue say; pleasant moments of camaraderie, tips and techniques in modeling and much learning about the wonderful world of military aviation await you.
Start to walk around the different topics, do not hesitate to ask anything and you will start to meet very interesting and valuable people.

Saludos

Luis Carlos
SANCER

I agree. I use at least five variations of poly cement, plus CA, epoxy and PVA, depending on the task and strength required.
There have been a huge number of 'technical advances' in modelling materials in the last 20 years or so, but there is still room for many of the 'traditional' materials.

Users who are viewing this thread