Revell 1/48 B-17F "Memphis Belle"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Peebs

Senior Airman
Apr 7, 2010
Werribee Vic
I've been sitting on this for a while, but with Tony's 1/72 'belle' diarama and Wearborg's 1/48 ' belle ' I thought it was time to join the fun.

Having just applied some primer to my 'Boomerang' I thought I might get the Belle out and wash all the parts in preparation, so with eveyones, 'my god its huge, where ya going to put it? ' ringing in my ears, I got it out of the box.

Now I took a comparison shot of the fuselage against a Spitfire and posted it on Tony's thread, yeah I thought, pretty big but nothing outlandish, think they might all be over reacting a bit...... and then I pulled out all the sprues.

As my teenage daughter and her girlfriends are so fond of saying "OMG" When I saw the wing sections everyones afore mentioned " its huge" finally struck home!!!! Now Seriously, where am I going to put it??? rofl

Here's a comparison of a wing section to the Spitfire

comp2.jpg

anyways, looking forward to the build.

found a bit of spare time over the last week to have a bit of fun..

the zinc chromate green is model master, first time I've used it, came out of the airbrush well, really good coverage, suitably pleased

Belle006.jpg

Belle007.jpg

I've seriously thought about doing this kit, depending on finding space in the display cabinet.
Anyway, looking good so far. I'll be watching this build with interest :)

Peebs, I'll be watching this one with interest. I'm a certified B-17 nut and have a couple of kits (the Revell 1/48 Memphis Belle and their B-17G in 1/48, and the new Revell G kit in 1/72. I'm not ready to start on these quite yet, since I've only just come back to planes after doing ships since I started modeling again a couple of years ago. I want to get a few smaller builds under my belt before I tackle these, especially since I'm wanting to add some after market to them. I'm anxious to see how you build her up. Looking great to my eye so far!

Bob

I will be keeping an eye on this one for sure.. That is one plane that is on my radar to get built..

my son has a WW2 plane book and there is a story about a B17 that was half-way blown up and still managed to fly home. I can't remember the name of the plane but that is the one I will want to build. anyway, sorry for the hijack and good luck on the build!
art

I will be keeping an eye on this one for sure.. That is one plane that is on my radar to get built..

my son has a WW2 plane book and there is a story about a B17 that was half-way blown up and still managed to fly home. I can't remember the name of the plane but that is the one I will want to build. anyway, sorry for the hijack and good luck on the build!
art

I had a bit of a hunt around, as you piqued my interest, came across some stuff on a B-17 "Miss Irish" that was nearly cut in two by flak, but managed to continue on, could be the one?

Had some time to do a bit of work on the belle....

wing assembly..
Belle008.jpg

Test fit, My Spitfire for size comparison...

Belle009.jpg

that may be it.. sounds like it.. I will look at my son's book tonight, confirm and post a pic.. very dramatic illustration, alas not a real photograph..

Been working away in my spare time, which hasn't been much of late, The Belle is coming along nicely..

pete

Belle010.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back