Revell 1/48 B-17F "Memphis Belle"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All painted and ready for decals and detailing!

Belle011.jpg

Just noticed though - 'barred' waist windows. The B17F, and certainly 'Belle', had open waist gun positions. On the ground, a metal panel, with a small window central, could be slid across into the opening, but in combat, the 'window' was open, with a retractable deflector plate forward of each opening. Glazed waist positions were first introduced on the 'G' model, at first 'barred', then 'greenhouse', then 'plain' plexiglass, with the 'K' mount for the .50 cal gun. Radio room upper hatch and gun mount was normally open also.
Still looks good though !

Just noticed though - 'barred' waist windows. The B17F, and certainly 'Belle', had open waist gun positions. On the ground, a metal panel, with a small window central, could be slid across into the opening, but in combat, the 'window' was open, with a retractable deflector plate forward of each opening. Glazed waist positions were first introduced on the 'G' model, at first 'barred', then 'greenhouse', then 'plain' plexiglass, with the 'K' mount for the .50 cal gun. Radio room upper hatch and gun mount was normally open also.
Still looks good though !

Thanks Terry, I 'ummed and arred' about those posistions, there was the option to leave the the pannels open with pretruding guns, I still have all the left over bits ( I have a box full of kit left overs, all bagged and labled, anal I know) so It is still an option!

Join the 'Spares Box Club' ! Most of us have the same obsession of keeping bits and pieces, and boy, do they come in handy sometimes !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back