Revell, 1:72 scale Heinkel He70

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bustedwing

Tech Sergeant
Dec 6, 2005
North Delta BC
Well talk about a goofy looking plane, How does the pilot see anything ? Taxiing by braille ? Nice kit so far with some fit issues and the instructions are pretty vague. I think this is a re issue of a former Soviet Bloc, Czeck or Ukranian model company. It seems to have all the characteristics of one. Cockpit is fairly sparse. Most of the pictures I could find show the civilian version and the pictures of the military version seem to show a different layout in every picture so I kind of winged it a bit. I added a navigator/ radio operators seat and a little desk. Opened up the doorway in the bulkhead and added some PE belts. my eyes don't work on masking tape belts anymore. I also added ribs and wireing in the passengers or rear area.

Attachments

• He70 (5)r.jpg
    He70 (5)r.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 529
  • He70 (7)r.jpg
    He70 (7)r.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 539
  • He70 (8)r.jpg
    He70 (8)r.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 582
  • He70 (16)r.jpg
    He70 (16)r.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,523
Nice one Graham, and a (pleasant) surprise for me!
Revell's original He 70 (from around 2006 or so) was a reboxing of the old Matchbox kit, which is pretty crude to say the least. Looks like they did the right thing by ditching that and repopping ICM's lovely kit, from 2010/2011. (I bought both when they were first released in Hungary)

Good start. They added a whacking great radial to the front of the K version which must screwed the forward vision even more. I have one book about the -70 but it's all period photos and profiles. Lots of interesting subjects

I always wondered something about the 70, was the cockpit canopy centered on some versions and off to one side on others? Never could tell definitively from pictures...
On the model it's centered. On quite a few of the pictures I've seen it does seem that it's off set to one side somewhat. Not sure myself ?

Here are two shots showing the starboard and port side. IMHO there wasn't any displacement of the cockpit.

He70_a.jpg

he70_b.jpg

the pic source: the Internet.

It definitely does look like it's even with the center line from the out side. I was looking for picture of the interior and this picture kind of gives the impression the canopy sits more to the port side.

Attachments

• revell03962reviewmd_He70Cockpits.jpg
    revell03962reviewmd_He70Cockpits.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 301
  • He70 (1).gif
    He70 (1).gif
    29.9 KB · Views: 295
If it would be even slightly moved toward the port side the difference between the shape of the starboard and port side would be noticed.. The shot below shows it placed symmetrically rather.

Heinkel He70.jpg

Interesting stuff guys... The military versions were definitely centred, but if pre-war passenger versions were offset at all (I rarely trust drawings), this may have been to allow the pilot and radio op to enter and exit the aircraft easier (entry door to crew area was on the starboard side, adjacent the pilot seat).

That's possible Evan. However IMHO the entire impression of cockpit offset is caused by the non symmetrical placement of the pilots seat and the control column. ..

Why it bugs me I don't know but it does. If the propeller wont spin uuugh ! Don't care if the wheels spin or the control surfaces move but the propeller ! i used a piece of sawed of hypodermic needle inside some styrene tube and centered the prop on a sewing pin. It spins if you look at it the wrong way. The cabin door I cut out with an exacto knife but the plastic is so thick there wasn't much left of the door so I made a new one with my cheap home made vacu form rig. And then paint !

He112 (48)r.jpg

He70 (30)r.jpg

He70 (19)r.jpg

Last edited:
The other curious thing. In that picture it shows the control stick with a wheel. The kit has a control stick with a loop yet most of the other pictures I've found show it just to be a stick ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back