revell p51d mustang (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woljags

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2010
maidenhead uk
not much on the tele again so i thought i'd try one of some new kits i picked up at the weekend not to put on here as a photographed build just for something to do,i couldn't believe just how bad the plastic used now is compered to my normal frog builds,has anyone else found this or is it only me

I had a such one many, many years ago. The plastic used for PZL P-50 Jastrząb (Hawk) must have been with some of teflon. It wasn't possible to put it together and paint. But now I don't have any problem with any styrene.

the plastic on this revell kit is thin and oily,once aasembled it does stiffen up but i wouldn't say it was very good for a display model in a warm house,i think it would warp out of shape very quickly

I have the Revell kit ( even three as memo serves ) no problem with the styrene at all. The oil might be a remaint of the moulding process and can be removed by washing sprues with warm water and a souap.

Last edited:
maybe i have a faulty kit then as you can get the wings and fuselage to wobble,looking at my posts i have forgot to say this is in 1/72nd

Bob..of course I ment the 1/72 scale kits. This is my favourite scale and all my models are of that.
Is that kit made of a green styrene?

no mate its in silver grey,i've been playing with it today to try to do something with it and have managed to stiffen it up by using ply formers inside the kit,unfortuantly i didn't take any photos but i will post some of how it looks now once i've downloaded my camara/phone,this was suppost to be a quiet build to relax in an evening,i plan to finish it as Big Beautiful Doll

I see. My kits are made of the green styrene. But all mentioned by you parts are of a very thin walls as well.

i'm not having much luck with this kit,i've slowly been painting the checkered nose pattern by hand ,i went to clean my brush and knocked over my cleaning thinners all over the model

Sounds like a case of Mr.Murphy is my best Friend,call it quits for the day and look again tomorrow

bob850.jpg

bob856.jpg

bob828.jpg

bob829.jpg

bob857.jpg

bob846.jpg

bob836.jpg

bob832.jpg

bob840.jpg

the 1st couple of pics show the kit before the mishap with the thinners and after the assembly of the main part of the kit with woodern formers inside to stiffern the model,the later pics show the kit after repairing and progress so far on detailing by hand the complex paintwork on this aircraft,i had also made a mistake the 1st time round with the positioning of the decals and paintwork to both main wing tips now corrected,unfortuatly the cockpit canopy has been slightly damaged by the thinners but i have given it a coat of clear gloss that has restored some of the shine,

Wow, nice to see some hand painting!

Re the checkers, I had an idea a while ago for a checker tail mustang scheme: Paint the entire area in the lightest colour. Mask completely, measure and carefully scribed lines of checkers with craftknife and flexible ruler (or similar), remove squares (or diamonds depending on angle) requiring darker colour, and if all succeeds, a nice checker-pattern of masking tape should remain, ready for the darker colour... worth a try!

Btw, nice save too, and got some spare canopies if you need one.

Looking good Bob. Not sure that BBD had the checks so wide on the wings though - pics of the real aircraft show only the tips checkered.

i'm still slowly hand painting in the checker pattern to the nose,it makes you a little crossed eyes doing it in such a small scale but hopefully it will look good in the end

Users who are viewing this thread

Back