Rifles and Machineguns of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I dont know about the vickers. It was a great machine gun to lay down fire with but i would got with the M2 Browning or the German MG42 anytime. The Scmessier (Mp40) seemed like a good submachine gun to use but like I posted earlier I would prefer the Tommy Gun anyday. But back to the MG42, its rate of fire was so deadly that soldiers were being taught how to get down when they heard the sound!

Attachments

• gunner1_edited__2__330.jpg
    gunner1_edited__2__330.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 665
The Vickers was just as good as the U.S .30 cal. I hardly believe that people were trained to get down when they heard the MG42, first off you don't need to train someone to shit themselves and duck. And secondly that could possibly be one of the worst things, you don't get down and duck if you're advancing. You keep your enemies heads down and advance. Why do you think German soldiers were so good? Because they advanced QUICKLY to cover, they never just hit the deck.

One thing about MG42 crews though, which I thought was quite smart, they used to have two MG42s set up, one loaded with tracer ammo and the other not. They'd test fire the tracer loaded one at night so it could be seen, and they'd fire it above head height so Allied soldiers thought it couldn't be depressed anymore.
Then the other was set up below that so it COULD hit the enemy, the Allied soldiers were advance thinking they were out of the field of fire of the MG 'cos it was firing above them...and by the time they'd realised that another one was hitting them, half the squad was dead or dying.

Ok, Ok, i have a new one. What do u guys think about the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) I personly think it was a great knock down weapon but the thing was just damn too big! What do u guys think about it?

Attachments

• gunner1_edited__2__184.jpg
    gunner1_edited__2__184.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 616
The BAR was a good squad support weapon for laying down accurate support fire quickly. It was cumbersome though, and it only had 20 rounds.

The Bren was better because it wasn't much heavier, it carried a 30 round clip, it could be belt fed and it was more accurate.

Unless it was using Indian built ammo...

I would because it was never built to last. It was a cheap weapon and it worked. It was only kept in massive production because it was sent to the partisans in Europe.

It could still do a lot of damage and was the perfect room clearing weapon. Accuracy isn't a must for SMGs, they're for close quarters combat. The Sten gun could do the job perfectly well. And I know everyone says that if they were dropped they would fall to pieces but you know, you shouldn't drop any gun because it tends to damage them.

the sten was light and effective so sorry yes i would disagree that the sten was ineffective.shipped to many countries and a widely used partisan weapon.

Yeah the Sten was pretty cheap. But hey im an American so im always going to stick by American made guns. I would prefer the M3A1 Sub machine gun, or the Grease Gun.

The "Grease Gun" was the M3A1. For personal firearms give me the Stg.44, much superior to any other firearm in World War 2. It was the worlds first assault rifle.

It was standard practice in some British regiments to replace the Stens with captured MP40's. Certainly the Essex regiment had such a policy. Its not as silly as it sounds as they fired the same ammunition and being reliable supply wasn't a problem.
Stens were certainly cheap, thats why they were designed but there was a design flaw in the magazine which made it easy to damage, and when you magazine is sticking out of the side its easy to damage.

I think what is being argued is not that the Stens weren't effective but that there were some reliability issues and that which made it not as good a combat weapon.

It did it's job. And I can believe that about the MP40, they were great SMGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back