Rifles and Machineguns of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You couldn't find a documented report on the subject. Well, if it happened in the midst of battle and the person died, he's hardly going to get up the next morning and tell the U.S War Department that the Mr.Bad German found out he'd ran out of rounds, ran around the corner and stabbed him in his freakin' eye, is he?

A trivial anecdote relating to the Sten gun:

My father was a corporal in the Home Guard and he was issued a Sten gun (MkII) in 1940 which he kept at home (no ammunition -- common in his unit -- Burnley HG).

I used to take it to bed with me at night and pretend there were German paratroopers invading our house -- I would "mow them down" (accompanied by my own sound effects).

The first night I did that, I woke up in the middle of the night with painfully burning eyes -- my father rinsed them out using copious amounts of water -- they remained red and swollen all the next day.

My father determined there was flux residue on the welds (Sten guns were utilitarian weapons hastily assembled and shipped without niceties of finish due to the pressures of wartime production requirements). I had rubbed my eyes after handling the weapon and had transferred the chemical flux residue to them. My father rinsed the entire Sten gun with hot water and dried it well. I experienced no further problems when handling it.

My father was a metallurgical inspector with Joseph Lucas Ltd. working throughout WW2 on the Jet engine development project (we didn't know that, however, because it was secret) thus his knowledge of brazing/welding fluxes.

James

At some point during his service in the airborne, my great-uncle carried a Sten Mk.II. It was a real love/hate relationship, apparently. Not so much to do with the welds though.

P38 Pilot said:
Ok, Ok, i have a new one. What do u guys think about the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) I personly think it was a great knock down weapon but the thing was just damn too big! What do u guys think about it?
I was in charge (NCOIC/Chief Range Officer) of the small arms firing training programs and range at Yokota Air Base (Tama Army Airfield) some twenty five miles north of Tokyo in the early 1960s ..... among the weapons in my inventory were two M1918A2 Browning Automatic Rifles (BAR) which were required for range instructor fully automatic fire familiarization and training (BAR and M2 carbine) and thus I fired that weapon extensively. It is indeed a heavy and cumbersome weapon with a limited magazine capacity although it was much liked by infantrymen as a squad weapon. I found it quite easy to hold on target in slow fire mode but hard to keep from climbing in fast fire mode.

Last edited:
I will only be able to contribute occasionally to this forum in the future. I now have seriuos health problems (particularly prostate cancer) that sap my energies and affect my ability to concentrate. I need to devote most of my time and energy to my family and the accomplishment of a multitude of projects to which I am committed. I have enjoyed my brief participation on this Forum and have learned much from all of you -- thank you for your gracious acceptance. I will contribute from time to time as I am able.

I will continue to maintain my non-commercial/non-profit website http://jp29.org/ -- please visit it periodically for updates and additions.

James Pickering said:
I will only be able to contribute occasionally to this forum in the future. I now have seriuos health problems (particularly prostate cancer) that sap my energies and affect my ability to concentrate. I need to devote most of my time and energy to my family and the accomplishment of a multitude of projects to which I am committed. I have enjoyed my brief participation on this Forum and have learned much from all of you -- thank you for your gracious acceptance. I will contribute from time to time as I am able.

I will continue to maintain my non-commercial/non-profit website http://jp29.org/ -- please visit it periodically for updates and additions.

Hang in there James!

wmaxt

Well considering what I've seen old somali women do with an AK47, I guess it aint THAT outrages.

But it only happens in a America though ;)

heh-heh :lol:

Reminds me of that MP40 gatehouse biddy on Golfinger.

Also that Sten-granny on IF was amusing. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back