RNZAF Corsair Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well tried paper mache....

.....Didn't work very well to say the least:evil:

used a whole roll of tin foil for an undercoat um yeah...... sorry mum:oops:

Wouldn't of done much but what the hay

Attachments

• ghjghjgh.jpg
    ghjghjgh.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 58
  • fhfhf.jpg
    fhfhf.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 63
I did actually paint it you know.... but well thought I could of done better so...I ripped it all off couple days later

in the meantime til I find another suitable material heres what I've done

Added more srtips of ply,done absolute wanders for it.Really smooth the shape

added 2 rather large bolts further strengthing the connection between the rear section and front frame

Cockpit is underway but as you can its only in its very initial stages

Yeah I needed a break from study ,plus I went to my english exam and did absolutely everything so I deserved some fun

Attachments

• IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 58
That's one big effing bolt, that is!! :shock:

I don't want to piss on the parade, but I'm worried that you have used pressboard material for your structural members. [sorry I'm an engineer thru and thru] Likely it will hold up for a few "rounds", but 109 don't be disappointed when a few flexes of that pressboard material results in a catastrophic failure. Sorry mate.

You wrecked my day:( :( ....big time!!!!:( :( :(

appreciate your thoughts though.....anything I can do?

Maybe cross-brace the inside? Matt would know better than me.
But, I've had a couple of ideas of how to 'skin' the bird, if you're unable to get fibreglass sheets or printing plates.
OPTION 1, use thin fibreglass matt, stretched over the frame, and apply the resin thinly. Once dry, a couple of coats of paint over a primer and it should be good enough, and fairly flexible to absorb any knocks.
OPTION 2. Cover in thick cardboard, then cover that in polythene sheeting, the type gardeners use. Tape all joints with duct tape, seal that with a thinned varnish, then paint.
Overall though, the printing plates, or properly applied fibreglass would be better.
Terry.

Thanks Terry and Heinz for your thoughts

Its so far been free except time and electricity so I'm pretty happy how its going

have to see how it ends up ,either way I learn't something

Oh boy...Daniel .:lol: What kind of an engine do you want to use for powering?

Sorry 109. Perhaps the load will be distributed enough that it will hold up. Some monocoque banding in strategic areas might help too. Just don't let any drunk adults get on it. :toothy5: And whatever you do, don't let it get wet. It will crumble like wet newspaper.

As you noted, the project has learnt you. And it was free. What more can you ask for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back