Robin Olds SCAT XXVII - Phantom F-4C

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Many thanks for your comments.
About the tail, and under-surfaces, I haven't took any pictures so far, I will try to do it tomorrow.
Alberto

One day later then expected, I finally managed to take some pictures, here they are. As you will appreciate, the tone contrast is more evident in some areas then in others. Some panel line wash has been used already.
Comments and suggestion are very welcome, of course.
Alberto

Attachments

• DSCN2599.JPG
    512.7 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN2594.JPG
    588.4 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN2595.JPG
    518.5 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN2597.JPG
    509.8 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN2598.JPG
    441.3 KB · Views: 136
Hi, I've done some more work on my model: cut some mask with my little plotter, spent some hours positioning them on tail and sprayed some very light grey to obtain call codes. As you will see from the following photos, there are some details to be rectified but isn't too bad.
There is also third photo, showing the tail of a restored bird. On that, outlined in yellow there is something that looks like a little lion, does anybody know anything about it? The reason I'asking is that I need to replicate it to put on my build and my only source is that low res picture. That means that converted into a one cm long decal, the detail will be very poor. Many thank in advance for your comments and help. Alberto

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the double!
The white trapeze on my model's tail, is there to receive the yellow and violet stripes decal that I made already.

Very good work with that metallic Alberto.
As for that Lion, it seems to me that it is a symbol that you will find with relative ease in English shields and emblems and it will only be a matter of finding the correct image in a good size, that reducing it, will give you the sharpness you are looking for and then turn it into a decal.

Es sólo una idea

Saludos

The lion looks like it is a South East Asia symbol - I've forgotten its name - but it was used in Burma, and other countries in that area had variations.
And I've remembered the Burmese name - Chinthe - which is a symbol of power.

Many thanks Terry for your suggestion.
I did some search on the web and it's very likely that the Chinthe was the inspiration. in the mean time I found a clip art that looks just the picture I need.

Attachments

• red lion.png
    7 KB · Views: 56
Glad it worked out Alberto.
That image can be 'flipped' to have it the right way around for both sides and, if printed on clear decal sheet, the printed image will lack density, giving a dull red result close to what is required, although it will probably need a bit of re-touching after it has been applied.

By the way, this is the decal sheet I prepared so far. the very tiny represent the codes printed on the ecm pod.

Yep, looks good. The striped markings will probably need to be done on white decal sheet, as the colours will be rather 'thin' on clear decal sheet, although two decals could be overlaid, if they can be fixed 'in register'.
If the decal doesn't work out, then mask and paint ?

Users who are viewing this thread