Rooftop Crash - Alexandria, Egypt

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Right these pictures are I believe of a Royal Navy Blackburn Roc which crashed on the rooftop of Alexandria during a sandstorm, if i recall correctly I think the pilot was killed, Grandad said after an extensive search they found the engine nearly three quarters of a mile away!

Im sure this will appeal to Navy A/C buffs.

Steve

Attachments

• RooftopCrashsite1.jpg
    RooftopCrashsite1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 308
  • RooftopCrashsite2.jpg
    RooftopCrashsite2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 296
  • RooftopCrashsite3.jpg
    RooftopCrashsite3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 314
  • RooftopCrashsite4.jpg
    RooftopCrashsite4.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 295
Fantastic pics!! It's always great to see close-up pics of rare aircraft like the Roc. Thank you so much for sharing.

Great shots Steve. Shame about the pilot. Considering what appears to have been a relatively good 'landing', he was unlucky.
I agree, Terry...it looks like an amazing job of getting it down on the rooftops in one peice...

So what happened, the pilot busted his head on the sight and/or dashboard? The fuselage looks to be in pretty good shape, even with the crushing/buckling at the lower firewall...

Very possibly a broken neck, or severe internal injuries, due to the presumed sudden stop. Must have been some teriffic inertia there. I'd guess the gunner got away with due to his position, and presumably facing the rear, with the front end, and pilot, absorbing most of the impact.

Very possibly a broken neck, or severe internal injuries, due to the presumed sudden stop. Must have been some teriffic inertia there. I'd guess the gunner got away with due to his position, and presumably facing the rear, with the front end, and pilot, absorbing most of the impact.

I think it was a broken neck, if I remember correctly, that many crashes Grandad went to, cant fully recall the details, they were 3 miles off course lost in the sandstorm and the gunner said he believed they were still over the sea!

Last edited:
I think Vic's right. The turret appears to be facing forward, with the open part, at the rear, the entrance hatch, with the covering panels slid around either side.
I can't remember, without checking, if the Roc and Skua had forward-firing wing guns, unlike the Defiant. maybe your grandad refered to these?

I think Vic's right. The turret appears to be facing forward, with the open part, at the rear, the entrance hatch, with the covering panels slid around either side.
I can't remember, without checking, if the Roc and Skua had forward-firing wing guns, unlike the Defiant. maybe your grandad refered to these?

The Roc was rear firing and could spin round to the side.

Attachments

• roc-8.jpg
    roc-8.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 109

Users who are viewing this thread

Back