Russian company expected to bid on Air Force refueling tanker (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It turns out that EADS are contemplating bidding by themselves, but they want a few answers first.

I can't see anything coming out of this contemplation because its plain to see that having proven the KC-330 carries more fuel over a greater distance and dispenses it more quickly than the Boeing, the rules had to be rewritten so Boeing could win.

The reason Northrop pulled out is because the the new requirement almost reads like the KC-767's Janes entry, lol

It turns out that EADS are contemplating bidding by themselves, but they want a few answers first.

I can't see anything coming out of this contemplation because its plain to see that having proven the KC-330 carries more fuel over a greater distance and dispenses it more quickly than the Boeing, the rules had to be rewritten so Boeing could win.
Is it cheaper than the Boeing entry? Will EADS allow the USAF to dictate design and engineering requirements to their basic design? Will EADS allow the USAF to copy propriety information and even manufacturer parts with no offset payments to EADS??? Is EADS willing to offset the entire cost of the contract with subcontract work in the US? Is EADS willing to have part or all of the airframe built in the US?

I'm just getting warmed up...

It's a lot more complicated than saying that the KC-330 "carries more fuel over a greater distance and dispenses it more quickly than the Boeing." There will be things the US government is looking for other than a claim of better performance and this is common in most military contracts here and in Europe.

Like the UA/ Russian team, I welcome EADS to bid as well.

Is it cheaper than the Boeing entry? Will EADS allow the USAF to dictate design and engineering requirements to their basic design? Will EADS allow the USAF to copy propriety information and even manufacturer parts with no offset payments to EADS??? Is EADS willing to offset the entire cost of the contract with subcontract work in the US? Is EADS willing to have part or all of the airframe built in the US?

I'm just getting warmed up..

Clearly I don't know the complete story on this none of us here have that information. However, I would say that the answer to the above questions is yes, as these are the sort of questions which would have been addressed when the EADS won the previous round.

Clearly I don't know the complete story on this none of us here have that information. However, I would say that the answer to the above questions is yes, as these are the sort of questions which would have been addressed when the EADS won the previous round.

I think after the contract was awarded Boeing went back to the pentagon and pointed out that there were some sustainment requirments not addressed by the winner as their proposal upon award has to be made public and that's when Boeing cried foul. Of course Boeing lit up some politicians and they got on the Defense Logistics Agency and that's where flaws were found in the inital solitication by the government. It got to be such a mess it was decided to start all over agavin and here we are today.

Looks like the Russian thing might have been a bit over-blown...
Russia's United Aircraft, however, denied reports that the firm was preparing to submit a bid based on a two-engined version of the Ilyushin Il-96 airliner, which has never been operated as a tanker. John Kirkland, a US lawyer claiming to front the Il-96 proposal, faced accusations that he publicised a hoax.
USAF tanker contract draws only European interest, not Russian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back