SA Model Expo (Adel) 2007

Okay, interesting little mystery then. I know A-6 production was boosted by recycling damaged airframes, so maybe this was one of those cases.
I know you know your stuff, that was never in dispute, it's for my own information that I asked.

Cheers, Evan
 
and a bit more for you Evan before I move on here is a shot of what is most likely an A-5/U12, but could be an A-6/R1? of 2/JG 11.

The "U" designation was replaced with a "V" for experimental aircraft and weapons while the "R" became the Field Conversion Kit designations R1 to R12 from the A-6 onwards.

Photo Credit "The Luftwaffe from Training School to the Front, An illustrated Study 1933-45." Michael Meyer and Paul Stipdonk.
 

Attachments

  • fw190A-5_2_JG11.JPG
    fw190A-5_2_JG11.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 392
I was watching "Wings of The Luftwaffe" yesterday on the History Channel and it was about the development of the Focke Wulf FW190 series through the 190-D models. The very British narrator said that the huge Paddle props used on the Dora (and other models) were very efficient at high altitudes. He also said they were made from wood. I almost fell off the couch? Is this true? I know there are some real FW heads here so whats the real skinny?
 
Wood?!?!? Really!? C'mon can't be true with that much HP behind them and the efficiency needed out of the prop. The blades would necessarily have to be thin edged and thus made of wood would be VERY maintenance intensive in such a configuration.
 
Honest...he said it. Balance is the key to a prop, not strength. So I am inclined to ponder what was said. I also consider the contributors to this forum to be more knowledgeable than most historians due to the fact the you guys love what you do .....Its not a money thing.
 
Wood is definitely correct! Without going to some books and doing some scanning,here is a cropped shot showing the wide wooden prop, shattered during the crash landing of Fw190A-9, white 2 + I, W.Nr 206000 of III/KG(J)27.

There are Numerous photo's of crash landed D-9's which show the shattered wooden prop blades.

Photo ref, Wings of the Black Cross 3 by Mark Proulx published by Eagle Editions.
 

Attachments

  • A-9 White 2 KG(J)27 prop Detail.JPG
    A-9 White 2 KG(J)27 prop Detail.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 125
Nice shot Wayne!
 
Thanks for the heads up Wayne!! I figured you would come through with the right info.

Seems to me that that prop breaking during a crash landing or a gear up landing could be a safety feature also. It would tend to make the aircraft less likely to "prang" or flip.
 
Well holy $hit. I stand corrected. I would have never guessed that such would occur for anything other than war expediency. While I might have guess so for 1944-1945, I would have never guessed that they used them for Fw-190As. Thanks for the education tpik and Wayne. This is what brings me back boys. Bravo.
 
Well holy $hit. I stand corrected. I would have never guessed that such would occur for anything other than war expediency. While I might have guess so for 1944-1945, I would have never guessed that they used them for Fw-190As. Thanks for the education tpik and Wayne. This is what brings me back boys. Bravo.

Thank the history channel too. I get "Dogfights" on Saturdays at 11am to 1pm on Charter Cable on the Oregon coast. I try not to miss it ever. :)
 
Your welcome guys! I have scanned an excellent crash landed D-9 showing the shattered wooden prop for your viewing pleasure.
Eagle Editions D-9 Vol 1 has around 25-30 pics showing the broken wooden props.

New season of "Dogfights" starts here in Oz on Thursday night.

Photo Credit, "Luftwaffe Wrecks and Relics" by Brett Green (Classic Publications)
 

Attachments

  • D-9 Wooden Prop_a.JPG
    D-9 Wooden Prop_a.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 117
Awesome!

I take it 'Dogfights' is on foxtel Wayne?

Anywhere I can get it on dvd, people always seem to be mentioning it!

Yeah mate on the FOX! I'm not aware of it on DVD at this stage, would you like me to tape a couple of shows for you to watch? or can it be downloaded from the net??
 
No worries mate!..

Ok another Large scale aircraft!
 

Attachments

  • Spitfire_MkV_7722.JPG
    Spitfire_MkV_7722.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Spitfire_MkV_8013.JPG
    Spitfire_MkV_8013.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Spitfire_MkV_8014.JPG
    Spitfire_MkV_8014.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 126
Hasegawa?

Looks real nice. That squadron probably provided air cover for my grandfather.
If its Italian based that is.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back