SBD-3 Dauntless at the Air Zoo (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
I took these pictures at the Air Zoo several years ago and am now posting them for Robert who is building a Dauntless in the current modeling group build. I'm pretty sure this Dauntless at the Air Zoo this is one of the aircraft recovered from Lake Lake Michigan and restored. Hard to believe it spent 60+ years underwater .

P9033022.JPG
P9033018.JPG
P9033029.JPG
P9033017.JPG
P9033021.JPG
P9033019.JPG
P9033025.JPG
P9033030.JPG
P9033028.JPG
P9033036.JPG

Those are fantastic pictures! Thank you very much for doing this, they have already been helpful in confirming I got the correct nose and cowls in my kit!

Out of curiosity can anyone explain the black lines in the wheel well's to me? Also noticed what appeared to be similar lines just outboard of the landing gear going around the wing?

I have the impression that it's some sort of rubber seal. I'll zoom in on the un-resized picture tonight and see if I can see it better

Very cool! I've always been curious, why are the inside of the dive flaps painted bright red?
I read this explanation in 2 different places, both other forums so I am not sure if it is entirely correct yet but...

"The red dive brakes were "invented" by one of the BT-1 squadrons (VB-5?) as a means to signal the formation to begin the dive together - too many aircraft were missing the signal when the dive brakes were just aluminum lacquer. The squadron added the paint, THEN asked permission from BuAer. BuAer argued for a bit ("But wouldn't yellow be better?") finally approving the red color in time for SBD production. "

Found this as well: Battle of Midway RoundTable

I don't recall seeing anything like that in period photos. I wonder if that is something done as part of the restoration or maybe something done to preserve the aircraft?
My guess is that if it is some sort of weather striping that it was installed after the painting on the restored aircraft and at the factory it was installed before the painting. That would explain why it doesn't show up in period photos. Don't have anything to back this up, just looking for and explanation that would fit.

My guess is that if it is some sort of weather striping that it was installed after the painting on the restored aircraft and at the factory it was installed before the painting. That would explain why it doesn't show up in period photos. Don't have anything to back this up, just looking for and explanation that would fit.
Makes sense to me, especially for a Naval aircraft. Imagine they would seal what they could to help reduce/prevent corrosion issues.

Not the same aircraft. The one I took the pictures of has been there since 1993. Looks like they have another one to restore

From the Air Zoo website:
The Air Zoo's SBD arrived at the museum in November 1993, still dripping water from Lake Michigan, where it was recovered. The restoration work began on this aircraft shortly after and continued until May 11, 2002 when it was dedicated. A photo of what the aircraft appeared like when the Air Zoo received it is to the right.
douglas_sbd-3_dauntless_pre-restoration_work.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back