SBD Dauntless

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
I didn't know where to put a thread like this so here it is.

The next Group Build in the Modelling Section is on the PTO. I've decided to finish a Dauntless that my father semi started. But I have no clue about the plane, who flew or camo schemes. I think I want to portray a Dauntless that flew from the US carriers at Midway but I don't have any info. I think Lucky is doing Swede's Dauntless and this might help him also. So.....

What Dauntless units were involved at Midway?

What were their markings / camo?

What type/mark of Dauntless was at Midway? SBD-1, -2, -3, -4, -5?

Is there much external difference between a SBD-1 and a SBD-3? Or any of the others?

Thanks!

This help?

Hey! I think I may have found one of interest for you, NJ!

From the Naval Aviation Museum:

Attachments

• midwaySBD2_BuNo2106.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 227
Now that last one looks interesting! SBD-2 from Midway - Now to see if there are any external differences between a SBD-1 and a -2.

All 14 aircraft were recovered from Lake Michigan.

What the 'ell else is at the bottom of Lake Michigan??

How about something with a little color and different. Profile below with info. Not Midway but still interesting.

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 381
Thanks Paul. That is the model I'm working with, a SBD-1 but what I've found so far is that most were replaced by SBD-2s at the time of Midway. So I have to modify - I think addition rear guns was the major change - and find out the markings for the various units. Still researching. Thats why I opened this thread. Hopefully something pops up - like that one Lake Michigan Dauntless. I'm thinking.......

I have photos of the Planes of Fame SBD. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the paint scheme, but they seem to do a pretty good job with accuracy there.

Attachments

• DSC_1971.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_1975.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_2851.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_2888.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 121
Thanks Eric! That is the paint scheme I'm going with. I need to find out with markings. As soon as I decide whether its from Yorktown, Hornet or Enterprise, I can go from there.

Great underside shot! Now I know how to do the weathering!

Users who are viewing this thread