Scimitar Propellors questions

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Arsenal VG-33

Senior Airman
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
Recently, I've taken an interest in these multi-bladed props seen on modern transport aircraft, called Scimitar propellors. Just two questions concerning these:

Are they fixed or variable pitched, or can they be both?
Also, do such props exists in small versions, say for RC aircraft purposes?
Thank you.

Recently, I've taken an interest in these multi-bladed props seen on modern transport aircraft, called Scimitar propellors. Just two questions concerning these:

Are they fixed or variable pitched, or can they be both?
Also, do such props exists in small versions, say for RC aircraft purposes?
Thank you.
AFAIK some of the ones you'll see on commuters and GA aircraft are constant speed. Don't know about RC stuff

Like a swept wing, the curved blades are attempts to prevent the airflow from going supersonic at the outter diameters. Ever heard a formation of T-34s. Louder than hell because the straight blades are supersonic at the tips and inefficient.

Hartzell have a "Top Prop" aftermarket mod that puts constant speed scimitar shaped props on light aircraft.
I have seen RC model props with highly swept leading edges, similar to the Hartzell product, but I'm not really into the RC scene, so don't have any moer info sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back