SD-2 manual (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Erich

the old Sage
May 20, 2004
Platonic Sphere
anyone downloaded a TM from the US army covering the LW Butterfly bomb ? curious how many carried in an AB 250 and how they were carried within.

anyone have any specs and schematics available ?

E ~

Erich,

Never seen any technical stuff on the SD-2, but in Vol 1 of "The Blitz: Then Now" by ATB, there's a nice section about the various German bombs/bomb containers and some good gen on what could hold what. From this:

AB 250-1 96 x SD-2

AB 250-2 144 x SD-2

AB 250-3 108 x SD-2

There is one picture showing SD-2s loaded in an AB 250-2, I can scan it for you if you're interested.

Hope this helps,

BC

Attachments

• Sd2_opened.jpg
    Sd2_opened.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 337
  • Sd2_closed.jpg
    Sd2_closed.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 296
  • sd2 practice.JPG
    sd2 practice.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 376
  • sd2a.JPG
    sd2a.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 354
  • sd2b.JPG
    sd2b.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Closest Ive found so far as to an english version. Will keep looking in my library as I think I have more some where though it may be in german.

Attachments

• M-82.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 209
thanks guys so far for the info. the AB 250 and the contents were used very effectively against the Soviets in 1945, reason why my questions in the above posting. more of course in the future volume I am working on, a little fun note - all the Doras of this unit of it's II. gruppe were supplied and carried out this terrible hazardous task.

post away please !

E ~

Found it Erich, English manual on German bombs, Uploaded the whole manual. Has the one you are looking for inside plus bonus of most other luftwaffe bombs :D

Attachments

• German explosive bombs.pdf
    32.1 MB · Views: 459
Well found part two to go with it for those that may find it interesting.

Attachments

• German explosive bomb part 2.pdf
    16.4 MB · Views: 212
I happened to stumble across this while looking for something else. Found it interesting so I figured I would add it on. Original found here: Clearing Unexploded Butterfly Bombs, WWII Tactical and Technical Trends, No. 36, October 21, 1943 (Lone Sentry)

The following intelligence report on the recognition and removal of German SD 2 butterfly bombs was originally published in Tactical and Technical Trends, No. 36, October 21, 1943.

CLEARING UNEXPLODED BUFFERFLY BOMBS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following instructions for the recognition and destruction of German SD 2 "butterfly bombs," (see Tactical and Technical Trends No. 34, p. 23) has been taken from an official German directive.

a. General

The SD 2 is a fragmentation bomb weighing 4.4 pounds, whose external shape and construction differ considerably from those of the bombs formerly used.

It must be expected that some will be duds, owing to their peculiar characteristics. Duds usually detonate on the slightest movement and may therefore be dangerous to our own troops. They should be removed as soon as discovered.

b. Recognition

The armed SD 2 consists of a cylindrical iron body 3.15 inches long and 3.15 inches in diameter, which may be painted gray-green or black, or sometimes red, or may be unpainted. A wire cord 5.9 inches long projects from its body. There is attached to the free end of this cord a sheet-metal flap consisting of two saucer-shaped half cylinders fastened together by means of a hinge. Two smaller plate-shaped flaps are attached to this hinge, and extend to the left and right from the hinge and the saucer-shaped flaps, in an approximately horizontal direction.

SD 2 bombs which have fallen onto hard ground without exploding will, as has previously been described, be visible. Owing to their peculiar shape and construction they can easily be recognized. In order that duds may be more easily recognized. they will in the future be provided with bodies painted gray with yellow stripes .08 inch wide; which are:

(1) Parallel to the longitudinal axis on both sides of the fuze, and

(2) Painted on the nose of the bomb at an angle of 90 degrees with the foregoing stripes.

The whole surface of newly manufactured SD 2 bombs is painted yellow.

The flaps are marked as follows:

(1) The saucer-shaped and plate-shaped flaps bear yellow stripes .08 inch wide;

(2) The plate-shaped flaps bear a red stripe running at right angles to the yellow stripe.

Newly manufactured flaps are painted yellow and the plate-shaped flaps bear a red stripe .08 inch wide.

If the wire cord is torn out, as seldom happens, the bomb and flap lie in different places. It is then necessary to be especially cautious. The flaps of SD 2 bombs which have detonated are perforated by bomb fragments. If flaps not so perforated are found, it is probable that the bomb to which they belong has not detonated. The ground must be searched for bombs or be roped off to prevent any one from crossing it.

c. Sensitivity of Duds

The bomb is armed during its fall by the twisting of a pin attached to the stem-like cord from the fuze. SD 2 bombs that have not exploded are extremely sensitive. The slightest change in their position may detonate them, as the fuze is provided with a firing-pin system inside the body of the bomb, which is released by the slightest concussion. Even duds that have long been exposed to the weather retain this sensitivity. Owing to the very great fragmentation effect of the SD 2, any careless act may endanger the life of the person involved, or result in seriously wounding him. It is consequently strictly forbidden to touch a dud.

d. Destruction of Duds

(1) When the bomb lies on the surface of the ground, an effort should first be made to detonate the bomb by firing a rifle-shot at it; this is usually successful owing to the concussion thus caused. In employing this method, the rifleman must fire from a safe, covered position at a distance of at least 50 meters from the dud. If the bomb cannot be exploded by firing at it, it must be destroyed by a blasting charge. When placing the blasting charge in position, one must take care not to touch the body of the bomb. It will suffice to place the blasting charge in the immediate vicinity of the dud without placing it in direct contact with the latter.

(2) When the bomb has penetrated the ground a noose of cord or wire is placed loosely around the flap without touching it. The noose is then drawn tight by a man in a safely covered position and the body of the bomb is pulled out of the ground. If it does not detonate, it must be destroyed in accordance with the instructions given under d (1).

Only artificers and personnel familiar with these instructions may destroy or remove SD 2 duds.

thanks Viking will read over again when time permits and copy. my question is and will tell all of you........gulp ! giving stuff away but lets be honest here............ JG 301 in March/April of 45 was performing ground attack raids even with their Dora 9's; with the big boyz full of fun explosives on forward Soviet positions. It was really nothing gained for the LW in the long run but maybe just maybe it saved a few more lives. . . . ?

E ~

Scan from "Blitz: Then Now Vol 1" attached.

The first SD-2s dropped in the UK were in and around Ipswich, Suffolk on 27 Oct 1940. Warnings were issued immediately afterwards.

There is a pic on p33 of Dr Alfred Price's "The Luftwaffe 1933-1945 Vol 1" which shows SD-2s dropping and exploding on, a Russian airfield, beneath a Ju 88 of KG.51

hope the above is helpful.

Regards,

BC

Attachments

• SD-2.AB-250.jpg
    SD-2.AB-250.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 178

Users who are viewing this thread

Back