Selective War Declarations?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Apart from the impossibility of Britain waging war with Germany and Russia also bear in mind that members of Britains Labour party greatly admired the Russians for their revolution, of course they had no idea what Stalins Russia was actually like.

There were a small number of communists in Britain and a small fraction of these belonged to the Labour Party, the Labour Party however represented the acceptable face of capitalism rather than its unacceptable face. The majority of those in Britain that supported the lunatic fringes of politics had their roots in the Tory Party, both the Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail were huge advocates of Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party, there were in fact a great number of pro Nazi defeatists within the Tory party and good old Winston had first to tread them into the ground in order to save Britain from surrender.

. Of more immediate historical relevance, what would have happened if Hitler had not declared war on America - that always struck me as one of the daftest moves ever by a political leader.
During November 41 Japan asked Germany what it would do if Japan found itself at war with the USA, the German leadership even then stated it would declare war against the USA in support of Japan.

Keep in mind that up to 7 December 1941, the popular sentiment in the U.S. was to remain neutral. Many interpreted this as being unwilling to wage war or wage total war (including Axis leaders).

The attack on Pearl Harbor drastically changed the public's opinion of going to war.

Good point. Very good point.

I think the attack on Pearl demonstrates that the Japanese leadership was as daft as Grofaz.

And, yet, it seems today that in some places some people think these rather dramatic lessons do not apply to them. Even the gentlest, most "progressive new-agey" parent may finally come to the decision that a firm paddling is in order. Will he give a classic beating, or will he decide to hit for distance?...

Last edited:
I tend to think the War could have taken many different turns, for instance if the British had won some of the early campaigns that they lost this may have led to them losing the war. I wonder how long Poland could have held out against Germany if the USSR had not also invaded, I don't think it would have been long and it is not clear to me whether Britain and France were aware that the USSR was going to join Germany in the invasion of Poland.
Looking at after the war there are many who accuse the West of abandoning Poland, I don't think Poland was abandoned as it seems to me that there was a general realisation in the West that a dispute over Poland with the USSR could have only led to a war which the West was in no real position to win. My own opinion is that the cold war was the strategy by which the west planned to free Eastern Europe from the Soviet Empire.

For those who suggest the West abandoned Poland, I would ask one question...what, realistically, could France or Britain do to assist? Both countries were still playing rearmament catch-up during 1939. Neither had contiguous borders with Poland, indeed just getting forces INTO Poland presented insurmountable difficulties. Even if forces could be deployed, how would they be resupplied? Even working out C3 issues with the Poles would have been challenging.

The desire to affect outcomes is often constrained by factors outside our control. Such was the case with the Allies and Poland in 1939. Britain and France drew a line which both thought would cow Hitler. He merrily skipped over that line because he correctly judged that neither Britain nor France could stop him.

If France would have had any clue what was coming, they would and should have attacked Germany right there during the war in Poland. The Germans had all their strength in the east and quite probably would have had a hard time coping with such an attack. Had France ceased the Rurhgebiet, I doubt if Germany could have handled that, even with the bad preparation the French had.

France moving into Germany in Sept. '39 could likely have toppled the Nazi government. I think it would have given the dissenting Generals the "honorable" reason they thought they needed to move against Hitlers and he fellow defectives. (While I admire their sense of honor, it makes me sad that they clung to it so tightly while millions died.)

I remember reading that the announcement of war in Germany brought a pall down over the country, quite unlike the euphoria of 1914.

If France would have had any clue what was coming, they would and should have attacked Germany right there during the war in Poland.

Only possible if you take the situation in 1939 out of all historical context. There are reasons that French forces were disposed the way they were in 1939/40. The plan was to fight the Germans in Belgium, a neutral country. It had to be Germany, not Britain or France that violated that neutrality. Same goes for the Netherlands.
Cheers
Steve

As a personal onservation, there should have been red flags showing with how Germany had been attempting inroads against Poland since the mid 30's with "Diplomatic" overtures, like their interest in Danzig and certain requests for territory exchanges.

The first phase of the BEF's deployment to France was only completed on 11 Oct 39 (and even then there were chronic equipment shortages) some 2 weeks after Poland had surrendered. I'm afraid it's hard to see how the BEF could have done anything to aid Poland by attacking Germany.

As for France, they could potentially have charged over the border into Germany but at the risk of leaving an exposed flank thru Belgium (or violating Belgian and Dutch neutrality). It's also hard to imagine implementing such a major operation without allies in tow and to do it at relatively short notice. In reality it's hard to square the French mindset of reliance on the Maginot defences with an all-out assault on Germany in the autumn of 1939.

As for France, they could potentially have charged over the border into Germany but at the risk of leaving an exposed flank thru Belgium (or violating Belgian and Dutch neutrality).

Not a chance. As you say the French mind set was very defensive. They would advance into Belgium to face the Germans on a narrow front and try to avoid the devastation of French territory still fresh in the memory from the first war.
I don't believe that the French Staff fancied taking on the Germans in open, mobile warfare.
Cheers
Steve

I think the attack on Pearl demonstrates that the Japanese leadership was as daft as Grofaz.
The Japanese decided it had to attack the USA after the USA had imposed an oil embargo on them. The Japanese government and military were faced with a choice, either an embarrassing climb down over their policies in China or war. Given the power of the military in Japan and how important it was not to be seen to 'lose face' in those circles they were always going to choose war, even though some of them accepted that they could face total defeat if they did.

. I wonder how long Poland could have held out against Germany if the USSR had not also invaded, .
Military it was clear that even before the Soviet invasion that the Polish had been decisively defeated by the Germans. The Poles had massed the majority of their forces near the German border, but these had been cut off and over run in the first few days.

The French did advance into Germany but it was only a half hearted attempt.

Saar Offensive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The military situation of France in the opening days of the conflict was not as strong as most people think.

here's a couple of posts by the poster 'The Purist' on the Armchair General forum that might be useful for the debate here

The Purist

The Germans had some 54 (iirc) divisions in the west of which about 16 were in reserve. The French did not match this strength until mid-Sept and were in no position to attack. Many claim that the German divisions were a mix 1st-3rd line and border defence units and they are correct. However, on the French side the majority of French "Active" division were split up to provide professional cadre for the mobilising Category A and B divisions. As such there is no qualitive advantage to the French forces on the other side of the border.

France was also facing a manpower deficit in comparison to Germany. Germany had a 2:1 advantage in males of military age and the French could not afford to waste lives on "prestige" attacks. No one expected the Poles to collapse as quickly as they did but the Poles were simply the first of many European armies to fail to stand up to German operational method and the tempo of battle. Since the Poles had collapsed by Sep 17th, the French command abandoned any idea of an attack.

The French advance into the Saar was faced by German parity and at no time had a numerical advantage over the German defenders in the West Wall fortifications.

German Army Group C Sep 17 - 43 divisions plus numerous independent regiments and battalions as well corps and army assets. Of these 20 divisions are in the path of the planned French attack (the Saar). Eleven of the 43 divisions are in reserve prepared to moved to reinforce the Saar if/when the attack comes.

As early as Sep 24th German troops are beginning to arrive, transferred from Poland.

France - Sep 17 - mobilsed 56 divisions which have to cover the French German border and the Italian Alps. However during the period that matters Sep 3 12) the French have 37 divisions,... of which 27 are still mobilising or en route to France:

Infantry divisions: 10,11,13,14,19,21,23,36,42,43-DI; 1,2,3,4-DINA (North African en route to or forming in France); 1,3,4 DIC (Colonial en route to or forming in France)

Mountain divisions: 27,29,31-DI; 2 DIC (Colonial Mtn div from Africa)

Cavalry divisions: 1,2,3 DC

Motor divisions: 1,2,5,9,15,25-DIM

Fortress divisions: 101,102,103,104

DLM: 1, 2
-----------------------------------------------------------

Between Sep 3 and Nov 1 France began mobilising the following divisions:

5 DINA (N Africa Inf); 5,6,7 DIC (Colonial Inf) 2,4,6,7,16,18,20,22,24,26,32,35,41,45,47 DI-A (Cat A Res div.)
28,30 DI-A (Cat A Res Mtn div.)
51,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,60,61,62,63,66,67,70,71 DI-B (Cat B Res div.)
64,65 DI-B (Cat B Res Mtn div.)

By November France has 76 divisions plus the newly formed 1st DCR for a total 77 divisions in or en route to France but by then the Polish army has been destroyed as an effective force for some six weeks.

Elsewhere (French colonies) France has mobilised in Sep some 18 Cat A and B African, colonial and colonial mtn divs but these were not full strength and never left the colonies.

Between Dec and May the French mobilised or finished mobilising/converting a further:

8,44 DI-A (Cat A Res); 7 DINA (N African inf.) 8 DIC-A (Cat A Res Colonial div); 68 DI-B (Cat B Res div.); 2 DIP (Polish); 3 DLI (Light Inf div)

1,2,3,4,5 DLC (Light Mech Cav div)

3 DLM

2,3,4 DCR

minus 3 DLC (cavalry) disbanded or used to fill out the DLC

Total of 90 divisions. However by then France is facing 136 German divisions.

As can be seen by the balance of forces in the Saar by Sep 17th and the reality that the Polish army has collapsed there is no point to a "gesture" offensive.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112161&highlight=France+1939&page=11

Last edited:
The first phase of the BEF's deployment to France was only completed on 11 Oct 39 (and even then there were chronic equipment shortages) some 2 weeks after Poland had surrendered. I'm afraid it's hard to see how the BEF could have done anything to aid Poland by attacking Germany.
The total number of British divisions deployed in France in September was 2.

Last edited:
The Japanese decided it had to attack the USA after the USA had imposed an oil embargo on them. The Japanese government and military were faced with a choice, either an embarrassing climb down over their policies in China or war. Given the power of the military in Japan and how important it was not to be seen to 'lose face' in those circles they were always going to choose war, even though some of them accepted that they could face total defeat if they did.

Of course, the embargo was in direct response to Japan's invasion of China, so it's not like the US declared its embargo just for giggles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back