September 1, 1938....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
What if the WWII had started one year earlier in '38 instead for '39? Would Hitler Co still been as successful as they were? Would Battle of Britain, Operation Barbarossa and Pearl Harbor still have taken place in the years that they did, or would they've taken place '39 and '40? If so, would they've gone further into Russia, maybe even taken Moscow, Britain lost and been invaded, and Japan sunk the carriers of USN? Would the technological development of ships, tanks, aircraft been different?

The Spanish Civil War was still raging on in 1938; so the war would have been completely different. The technology of Germany, and tactical development, did not reach heights until after the trials in the Spanish Civil War. Germany would be stepping into modern war just as blind as everyone else, and I would have to say that the war would be fought using the Spanish Civil War as the chess board.

Germany would not have been able to project power throughout Europe like it did in 1940 (the true year of dominance) because it would have not had the advantage of a proving ground.

The Spanish Civil War not only pitted the Republicans against the Fascists, but in many ways it was also a proxy war between Germany and Soviet Russia, each country sending their materiel to their respective sides. In the case of the Germany, even German troops and airmen participated, given them valuable experience (and perhaps the Russians did as well, though I'm unaware).

The war quickly descended into a war of ideologies, Communism vs. Fascism. There were many foreign volunteers who went to fight in Spain but were unknowingly recruited by Communist organizations.

I think it may have been possible to stop fascism had the democratic nations joined together to stop it, but the fact that they didn't leads me to believe they were fearful of aiding communists forces in the process. It's possible that had the Republican forces won, a democratic system may have taken hold, though I think it's really hard to tell.

There was also Italy's invasion of Abyssinia (Ethiopia) in 1935 that merited a world response, but that was seen more of a colonial conquest. Besides, there was also a fear of pushing Italy further towards Hitler's camp should hostilities breakout with Germany.

Lets not forget, that even on the eve of the WW 2, Britain and France were seriously contemplating various plans to send their troops to Finland to help them fight the Russians. However, when war did break out, that force would instead be mobolized and sent to Norway.

I find the behind-the-scenes political wringing and manipulations of the 1935-39 years to be fascinating.

I would recommend Antony Beevors book on the Spanish Civil War, it's a remarkable book. There was a lot more to the Spanish Civil War than Communism vs. Fascism - the Communist camp became the biggest on the Republican side simply because of Soviet intervention; the anarchists did not like the Soviets pushing their Communism down everyones throats but certainly enjoyed the presence of Soviet arms.

The amount of infighting in the Nationalist and Republican camps is amazing; even more amazing is the fact they still managed to keep it a two sided war.

The amount of infighting in the Nationalist and Republican camps is amazing; even more amazing is the fact they still managed to keep it a two sided war.

Man thats true I've done some work on the Spanish Civil War..And its real hard to see who was against who ..And why they were against who..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back