Shanghai's bizarre Oriental Land

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Oriental Land is an 'Oriental theme park' about an hour's drive outside of Shanghai on the shore of a massive lake, with the centre piece of the military displays being an artificial full scale aircraft carrier! It's a truly bizarre place, but the hardware is fascinating. If you find yourself in Shanghai and you have a day to spare, look out for it. At present there is no other way of getting there direct except by car, so I took a taxi, which was expensive, even for China, where travel by taxi is usually cheap for wealthy Western tourists. The way back was more conviluted, since I chose not to return by taxi owing to the cost, and took a bus to the nearest town, hoping for a bus into Shanghai, but couldn't find one, so, caught a taxi to Honqqiao airport and from there I caught a train back to the city. That all took around two and a half hours! The underground rail network is expanding to take in Oriental Land in future, so such a laborious means of getting there and back won't be necessary in future.

Anyway, a few images and link below to more. Read the captions to the images for more information.

Chinese aircraft carrier
nuu1.jpg

Xian H-6
nuu2.jpg

Harbin H-5
nuu3.jpg

Type 96 Main Battle Tank
nuu4.jpg

Type 033 submarine 280
nuu5.jpg

The carrier deck
nuu6.jpg