short sunderland

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oreo, it's a Sunderland MkV, which had a hatch on each side, immediately behind the trailing edge of the wing, which could be opened on a sliding rail. This can be seen on the exterior shot. The gun mounts themselves don't appear to be fitted, and would either be a pintle mount, similar to the B-17E/F, or a bracket mount on the hatch sill, which could be swung into position.
EDIT: Check the second from last (colour) pic in post #2. which shows the swing pintle mounts in place.

Last edited:
anything you can get on the sunderland would be great as i'm going to attempt a fully scaled model including the interior as a project to improve my build skills,i wanted to do this for a g.b but the parts didn't arrive in time

Hi

Apologies for not being here in a while (life got in the way -Hospital, operations etc)

What mark Sunderland are you planning on building? Obviously with Airfix you would be looking
at Mk III/IIIa/V? How accurate to do you want to be?

Here are some photos of my build, I have been pottering away for a while on, its built per the real aircraft
32f265ec.jpg

806d4fb1.jpg

here is a link to my build
Airfix Short Sunderland Mk III -(By Request) - Britmodeller.com

If you plan on using the WEM Cockpit set, it really is only for a Mk I/II. You could try using it for an
early production Mk III at a stretch, but remember the Instrument panel/Pilots seats are different for a MkIII.
Add in the ASV suite and things change again.
The Bomb bay set is mostly ficticious.

Note the Mk III V are mostly similar interor wise with the exception of the rear deck
and beam gun positions

If you have any questions on buildling your Sunderland feel free to ask here or PM me

Regards

Alan

Brilliant info and work here guys!

Alan, that's a great inspiration! Will follow your guide when I get round to doing my own Sunderlands. Hope you're ok now too!

Evan

i was hoping to do a mk3 and this is going to be my 1st attempt at full detail as per the original aircraft,i know you won't see most of it but i'm thinking of doing something about that too with clear sections to one side,i might do a second aircraft with the basic detailing to show how they looked normally,but the thought of building my all time fav aircraft as it was is the main reason for the project

I've now started my sunderland build,could someone move this thread to start to finish builds please,i will post some pics as i progress,thanks chaps

I don't think it is a good idea Bob. The thread is a request for help but not for a coverage with a photo reportage of the build. I would suggest creating a new one in the relevant section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back