Show us what you are doing in the 'lockdown'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

stona

Major
Mar 28, 2009
Most of us have an unexpected surfeit of time on our hands and I just wondered if anyone is using it to build any long neglected kits.

I've taken on the Revell 1/32 scale He 219, which has been languishing in my cupboard, along with a Tamiya P-51, the sum total of my stash, for far too long.

It is a rather large model and I have no idea what I will do with it when it is completed!

This is the last week or so's progress.

IMG_1907.JPG

That's a 15cm/6" steel rule for scale ;)

Good stuff Steve. I've been working on 3 builds: Roden Gladiator, Airfix Spit XIV, and Tamiya Spit I. There are separate threads on all of them. In addition, I've been doing work for our RS700 Mosquito restoration. There are hundreds of scanned documents that I have that need to be indexed and cross referenced. Also, since our team has stopped gathering at the museum to work on the airplane, I brought home various bits of the cockpit controls to work on here in my shop.

20033101.jpg
20033102.jpg
20033103.jpg
20033104.jpg

Finishing up a Revell 1/32 Ju-88A-1 for an exhibit on WW2 dive bombing technology for our local aviation museum. Right now there's just a cardboard cut-out of the Ju-88 dropping its 1000kg bomb.

Attachments

• rnBG21jySxa%1sgTIoAE6w.jpg
    rnBG21jySxa%1sgTIoAE6w.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
  • OPjcvbqRRD2S3dG6mznjQA.jpg
    OPjcvbqRRD2S3dG6mznjQA.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 153
  • XkzV9kgmSNaS07HWiBBm%A.jpg
    XkzV9kgmSNaS07HWiBBm%A.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 151
Finishing up a Revell 1/32 Ju-88A-1 for an exhibit on WW2 dive bombing technology for our local aviation museum. Right now there's just a cardboard cut-out of the Ju-88 dropping its 1000kg bomb.
From Q: Ju 88 as a dive-bomber? Units at Sola, Norway 1941 - Axis History Forum

The BZA-1 system used an onboard analog computer, the IVR-1, to provide continuous targeting solutions delivered to the pilot via either a Stuvi-5 or PV-1-B heads up display. It looks to be remarkably sophisticated.. the IVR-1 computer compensated for crosswind, target altitude, air density, air speed, pitch (dive) angle, and angle of attack. Targeting solution was calculated and displayed via the HUD such that the pilot could see a continuous readout thru the HUD of where his bomb was calculated to hit at any given moment during the dive.. all he had to do was put or get the 'pipper' on the target and release the bomb(s).

The IVR-1 computer is the artifact we have and will display in our exhibit.

A complete BZA-1 system was about 100lbs worth of instruments, sensors and accessories distributed around the airframe. The IVR-1 accounted for 50lbs of that. As far as Ju 88's are concerned, the system was deployed on the A-4 and A-5 variants - which is the aircraft our IVR-1 computer came from - and most likely used the PV-1-B HUD, not the older Stuvi-5.

The IVR-1 was only deployed in A-4 and A-5 version of the Ju-88. These were later variants, which indicates the Ju 88's role as a dive-bomber did not diminish during the war, but was strengthened

Is that a real Ju 88 nose glazing frame?
No, it's not.. our exhibit builder scaled down from drawings and built it out of 'foam core'. He had to take some liberties with the control column and instrumentation, so it's a bit of an interpretation. But the effect works well to give the viewer a pilot's perspective..

The IVR-1 dive computer is indeed a highly sophisticated, 25kg chunk of analog engineering. Its ability to project a CCIP (Continually Calculating Impact Point) onto a HUD were not matched by another air force until the introduction of the US Navy Chance-Vought A-7 Corsair in the 1960's.

Cheers,
- Art
IMG_9595.JPG

Last edited:
Beauty Karl. One in the stash. I've read other builds and the clear parts are always mentioned as a sticking point to an otherwise nice build

Users who are viewing this thread

Back