Shuttleworth Golden Oldies

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glider

Captain
Apr 23, 2005
Lincolnshire
Some Photos taken at a Shuttleworth Flying display concentrating on their old aircraft. The Pup, Bristol and SE5a are originals, whilst the Sopwith Triplane is modern but was built with old techniques and materials and is officially called a late production.
The Avro Triplane and Bristol Boxkite are replicas.

Others to follow when I get the time

If other people have similar shots of old aircraft don't hesitate to post them.

Attachments

• Very Slow flypast.jpg
    Very Slow flypast.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Sopwith Triplane.jpg
    Sopwith Triplane.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Sopwith Pup.jpg
    Sopwith Pup.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Bristol Fighter (Original).jpg
    Bristol Fighter (Original).jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 148
  • SE5a an almost shot.jpg
    SE5a an almost shot.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 135
Hi Glider,

>Some Photos taken at a Shuttleworth Flying display concentrating on their old aircraft.

Great pictures! :) You're using a Sony Alpha 700? I'd ask if you're happy with it, but seeing the high quality of your shots, it's not hard to guess the answer ;)

>If other people have similar shots of old aircraft don't hesitate to post them.

Below a Bleriot XI - not quite as good as yours, but at least as old ;) It's from the last airshow I did with the compact Panasonic DMC FZ-30 before buying my new Alpha 700 ...

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• P1200337.jpg
    P1200337.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 117
Thanks for your comments. I am delighted with the Sony A700 which I use with a Sigma 170-500.
Those compacts are very good these days and I do like the Bleriot. I saw one once and it came within an ace of crashing. While it was up the wind increased and it proved a bugger to land. The main problem was the engine which doesn't have a throttle, its either 'on' max power or 'off' and it was either too much for the wind or not enough.

The Blackburn is very similar to the Bleriot with wing warping and flew very well. The Deperdussin isn't allowed to make turns and last time managed an altitude of at least 6 feet. This time he climed quite high before he came down before the end of the runway.

These are all original aircraft with original engines

Attachments

• Deperdussin.jpg
    Deperdussin.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 108
  • SE5a a better shot.jpg
    SE5a a better shot.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 122
  • Blackburn Monoplane D.jpg
    Blackburn Monoplane D.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 100
Hi Glider,

>I am delighted with the Sony A700 which I use with a Sigma 170-500.

Interesting ... is it this one? Sigma - Lenses

I bought a used Minolta 100-400 mm 1:4.5-6.7, which seems to be very good optically, but is a bit slow in autofocus. The main problem (not a very big one as I admit) is that occassionally, the autofocus misses the aircraft I'm trying to shoot, and then the lens focuses to the close limit and out again, taking a very long time ("very long" in the context of a fast overflight :) I have a friend who is into Nikon, and his generally similar lens can be limited in short-range focus by a special switch on the lens. I found that "spot" autofocus works best for airshow photography - at least with my lens. I'd love to hear about your experience there, maybe there's a way to improve my technique :)

Anyway, I'm still looking for a longer lens, so I'm intrigued by the Sigma you have ...

>Those compacts are very good these days [...]

Absolutely, and if someone would ask me for an airshow-capable camera that is not as expensive, heavy or bulky as an SLR, I'd still recommend the Panasonic DMC FZ-30 (or the the current model FZ-50). Main disadvantages are the electronic viewfinder (not a problem for aircraft-against-the-sky shots :) and the relatively slow autofocus (so it's not quite as rapid-fire against moving targets as an SLR). Value for money is very good, though.

>[...] and I do like the Bleriot. I saw one once and it came within an ace of crashing.

I had seen it before, and it always flew very carefully and only the widest of turns. To my surprise, the conditions at Kiel-Holtenau (where I snapped the above shot) must have been perfect, and the pilot really threw the Bleriot around in a way I hadn't expected :) Not really aerobatics of course, but tight turns, sudden climbs and descends, and one time he actually waved to the audience with both arms at once.

Below a shot from the ILA 2008, the first airshow where I used my Alpha 700 ...

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• DSC00576.jpg
    DSC00576.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 89
Henning
That is the lens that I bought for the airshows and my uses it for birdwatching and I admit to being very pleased with it. For birdwatching it isn't long enough and she uses a compact to take shots through her telescope.
I know that the Sigma 50-500 gets rave reviews and I did seriously consider it, but the 170-500 is cheaper and lighter and the money saved went towards a better standard zoom for normal use.

I cannot talk about style as I am still learning it myself.

Hi Glider,

>That is the lens that I bought for the airshows and my uses it for birdwatching and I admit to being very pleased with it. For birdwatching it isn't long enough and she uses a compact to take shots through her telescope.

Hm, for birdwatching no lens is ever long enough ;) It's actually another of my hobbies, though I'm really new to it. I'm just considering to buy a spotting scope, and of course I'm looking for one that can be used with a compact as you describe ...

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• DSC02239_Grünfink.jpg
    DSC02239_Grünfink.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 78
Linda uses a Panasonic DMC-FX33 and an adapter that fits a Leica 62 scope. We have only just bought the adapter so we will see how it goes. With luck we may have some shots this weekend as we are going to try and see some birds.
We did once see a scope that had the camera built into it but it was only a 3MP camera and that isn't really enough. Had it been a 6MP we may well have bought it.

I like your effort, we will have to see what we can do.

Hi Glider,

>If other people have similar shots of old aircraft don't hesitate to post them.

Here is an Albatros B.II which unfortunately did not get to fly on that day due to excessive crosswinds. I believe the aircraft is a replica.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• PE200814_011_8.jpg
    PE200814_011_8.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 75

Users who are viewing this thread

Back