Slam's builds - the good, the bad and the fugly

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Slam

Airman 1st Class
Jun 13, 2014
Hey, all, thought I'd put up some photos of my builds. Some of these are in Andy's thread about the Western Canadian Regional contest but some haven't seen the light of day until now. Comment as you see fit, just be gentle...and funny...

Franzisket's 109E-7. Hobbycraft kit with some tweaks.
4-1.gif

4b.gif

Monogram Typhoon. Rescribed it, added a cockpit, reshaped the prop blades and kissed and cuddled and then spoiled it with poor color choices. Fugly. Someday I'll repaint it.
11a.gif

11.gif

Eduard's Weekend Edition Yak-3. Weekend? Yup. Started on Friday night, finished on Sunday evening.
2c.gif

2b.gif

2d.gif

Dragon Ta152-H (that's 'H', Simon, not 'C'). The kit was incomplete so I robbed a canopy from a Tamiya 190 and wheels from a (gasp!) F-4 Phantom! Heresy!
16.gif

16b.gif

16a.gif

16c.gif

TriMaster FW190D-9. Still a great kit.
9b.gif

9a.gif

Dragon Ta152-H (H!)... This one made it into the October 2014 FineScale Modeler.
14c.gif

Tamiya Bf109E-7. Tweaked the photo to give it a period look. Rommel jogged my arm just as I snapped the pic...
15c.gif

15.gif

Hobbycraft Bf109E-4. Vac canopy, brass gun barrels, dropped the slats and elevators. Posed the rudder. And on and on...
6b.gif

6.gif

Eduard (Zvezda) La-7. Neat kit but I found the gear fiddly.
7.gif

Tamiya FW190A-3 converted to an A-1. I read that some of the early 190s were sent to Russia and my imagination took over from there.
13.gif

Hope you enjoy them!

Last edited:
Thanks, gents, means a lot coming from this crowd. That Typhoon haunts me. I had done so much work and then killed it with incorrect colors. Makes me cringe to this day. I shot some more pics of other builds today and I'll get them up on Monday.

One reason I signed up for this site was the support everyone got no matter what the outcome (which is good for this hobby but maybe not so much for rocket scientists or new parents). The other reason was the WEALTH of information and knowledge here. And the undercurrent of English humor...

Lots of non109's and faux190s there Simon. As with the others, I think tarring the Tiffie with the fugly moniker is a bit harsh. You're right that the colours aren't quite right but other than that, it's a nice looking build.

Jan will enjoy your black 13. All in all a nice display and I like how you photograph them.

Sorry but can't think of anything funny right now but probably will about 2 minutes after I hit the "post" button.

It is a very beautiful collection, and I hope to continue to grow :thumbright:..... maybe comes that ugly model you predict. :tongue1:

We all have one (or more than one) on shelves or hidden !! :oops: ...nothing happens 8)

Cheers,

Lovely 13's.....

Oh, sorry, ma bad.....the others were nice too! ;)

......and I mean very nice!

Is that gentle enough, or would a hug and pat on the shoulder be preferred?

A pat on the head and a "Next time, use the right colors," may help.

Okay, here are some more, and I'll start with the worst of the bunch. This one really is FUGLY.

Minicraft F4U-4. I STILL haven't finished it and it's been gathering dust for about 6 years now. I left off after smash-molding a canopy for it and never got around to painting the canopy frames. This was my first attempt at using brushed-on filters, and I failed at that. I'd put in a True Details cockpit, hoping that would help. Yeah... It didn't. The plane still looks like a porker.
IMG_6658.jpg

IMG_6665.jpg

How about a Tamiya FW190 with far too much overspray? The period photos of this ship show it as being quite dark. But maybe I went too far. Dragon wheels, to mitigate the fact it's a short-arse.
IMG_6643.jpg

IMG_6633.jpg

IMG_6644.jpg

An Otaki Bf109. Slammed it in two days. How about that - a 109 with thick wings and tractor tires. What's not to like?
IMG_6624.jpg

IMG_6629.jpg

Another slam. Hobbycraft's Mule. How apt. One color! I shut my eyes and hit the trigger...
IMG_6654.jpg

IMG_6649.jpg

IMG_6648.jpg

Tamiya 190D-9. Again, with Dragon wheels. What am I gonna do when the Dragon kits need their wheels back? Made up the color scheme to try out some (very) old dry transfers I had.
IMG_6615.jpg

IMG_6617.jpg

IMG_6623.jpg

I'll delve even deeper into the vault for my next instalment...

Cheers, bro! That Corsair... It's just hurtin'. Left gear's broken and you can tell in the pics. I still haven't done the exhaust stains and what I'd really like to do is paint some green and white stripes on it just so it doesn't look so miserable all the time. It sulks. For some reason, though, I just can't bring myself to throw it away, but I punish it by leaving it in a cracked and broken case.

Gotta admit, the canopy on that Corsair IS fugly but I like the paint job actually. As for the others, yeah, the 190's camo could be tighter but all the rest are very good. Veritable purses from sows' ears in some cases.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back