Soccer or Football?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't agree. It's the referee's call and should be respected even if he had it wrong. He should get fired afterwards though.

I actually think the "hand of god" is a classic. It shows that football (soccer for you US members) is (or at least was) still a human sport, decided by humans instead of technology. Humans make mistakes, but it's all part of the game. I think this is one of the charming aspects of sport.
Marcel
you're right that it's the referee's call and he sometimes gets it wrong, but the original call was 'would you change it?'

Yes, and I think any fair-minded sports-loving person would. The 'hand of God' is famous only for being infamous, I don't think there is anything charming about a calculated act of cheating.

It was cheating, but so was the German penalty (schwalbe) in 1974 which cheated us from our deserved world championship. Cheating and getting away with it is part of soccer, if you like it or not.

It was cheating, but so was the German penalty (schwalbe) in 1974 which cheated us from our deserved world championship. Cheating and getting away with it is part of soccer, if you like it or not.
Was that a 'classic' too?
Like it or not? Well, not - but I don't think it being part of any sport precludes comment on it

It's a difficult scenario to envisage
because it's not part of the English game

Your premise is based upon the British sporting psyche being similar to that of the Argentines - to contemplate that and execute such a thing is, or was, part of your game.

We have an innate sense of fair play. You can argue that fair play never won a trophy but if we won the World Cup that way, the vast majority of supporters in this country would view it as hollow - we'd have cheated the opposition, the game and ourselves.
It would be debated to death on all of the football forums in this country but it would eventually boil down to the same bottom line, we didn't win it, we stole it.

Yes, I'd change it. Without a shadow of a doubt.

Don't believe it for a minute. Plenty of professional cheating and diving happens in the English game. Perhaps because of the high % of foreign players in the Premiership Colin?:twisted:

Am afraid cheating is part of human nature. I have spoken to a few proffesional atheletes(cycling) to know its a reality. Football will be just the same when you consider the presure and short duration in which they need to make their money. Can't see Wayne Rooney beng a high flyer in finace when he retires.

I don't agree. It's the referee's call and should be respected even if he had it wrong. He should get fired afterwards though.

I will agree with that.

For us it is and probably for the Germans as well. Dutch football fans still think that only Germans steal penalties like that :lol:

We say the same about the Dutch. :lol:

I meaned unnecessary to wrote it in english, a simple "adios" or "auf wiedersehen" would be more apropiate 8)

I am still waiting on an explanation for this...

How is "Auf Wiedersehen" more appropriate than "Goodbye"? How is "Goodbye" offensive?

Don't believe it for a minute. Plenty of professional cheating and diving happens in the English game. Perhaps because of the high % of foreign players in the Premiership Colin?:twisted:

Am afraid cheating is part of human nature. I have spoken to a few professional athletes(cycling) to know its a reality. Football will be just the same when you consider the pressure and short duration in which they need to make their money. Can't see Wayne Rooney beng a high flyer in finance when he retires.
It's the answer to a slightly different question
I'm well aware of the shennanigans that go on at league level but within the World Cup there's only one team that has won the Fair Play award more times than us and that is Brazil.
In World Cup 66, the mauling we were given from the Argentinians in the semi-final was pretty brutal but we didn't respond in kind.

We've had 'characters' if you want to call them that but these are isolated cases and it never seems to pervade the mentality of an entire national squad. We've been ineffectual, useless even but have never resorted to blatant cheating.

Cheating IS part of human nature, it is primeval, a cheat option is just one of a range of options in a given situation and doesn't sit well with regulation, rule or law. It merely becomes less excuseable on the world stage because those players represent the finest (in all aspects of their chosen sport) of their respective countries.
I don't think a sizeable percentage of Premier League footballers feel any need to cheat to make their money, ex-footballer Wayne Bridge is an extreme example, quite happy to warm the bench of a successful club and watch the greenbacks roll in; I think the issue of the money they make/how they make it is an unrelated issue, ie wealth. This is more about what players are prepared to do in pursuit of success (assuming most players see wealth and sporting success as being different).
I also think Rooney is a victim of his own temperament, rather than an out-and-out cheat.

That would be great. We can talk this stuff all the time and probably watch an exciting game :)

And the great thing about it is, we would probably drink a few beers, laugh, have a good time and not hate each other over! Kind of crazy, how some people can do this huh? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back