Soccer or Football?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I guess European football would be a designation that can make happy everyone, and avoid any confusion.
Of course in places in wich the american or australian football is inexistent ( like Argentina) that is not necessary.

I guess European football would be a designation that can make happy everyone, and avoid any confusion.
Of course in places in wich the american or australian football is inexistent ( like Argentina) that is not necessary.

Perhaps reference should be American Football vs Football. As the later is truely global.:twisted:

Football it is.

Aussie Rules is Aussie Rules.

Gaelic football is Gaelic football.

American football is American football.

Rugby is, well, rugby. Meatheads running around holding on to a ball like a special kid with a teddy bear.

You can't have the "World game" and call it European football.

Looks like it was just a slow news day anyway...

Football it is.

Aussie Rules is Aussie Rules.

Gaelic football is Gaelic football.

American football is American football.

Rugby is, well, rugby. Meatheads running around holding on to a ball like a special kid with a teddy bear.

You can't have the "World game" and call it European football.

Looks like it was just a slow news day anyway...
And don't forget the Canadian Football which is akin to american , thank god for Ice Hockey

Hockey. Except the professional team from Minnesota, they have been stinking it up lately. Thank goodness for the Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament next week!!!

I used to love to play American football. It is an institution in high schools around the states. But I am fascinated with European football, and the World Cup. I used to have the Fox Soccer channel and could always catch a good match. I really like Manchester United and Madrid. I would love to learn more about the teams you all might like and why.

Football!

My dad played high school football, as did I, plus a year in college and even played a season while I was on active duty in Fort Knox.

Oldest son played 11 years, Pop Warner and high school.

Second son played 14 years, Pop Warner, high school and college.

Never did let the boys play soccer as youngsters and it paid off.

Soccer bores me to tears.

TO

I would love to learn more about the teams you all might like and why.
I'll forget you said 'Manchester United' :)

In 1881, Stanley Cricket Club formed a football team to occupy themselves in winter. A year later they changed their name to East End FC turning professional in 1889. In 1892 in more take-over than merger, they 'became one' with fierce rivals West End FC and moved into their ground - St James' Park. On 22 Dec the FA approved the name Newcastle United.

Nicknamed the Magpies, the Tyneside team joined the Football League in 1893 and swiftly became one the game's giants, winning three league titles and an FA Cup by 1914.
In 1934 they were relegated, despited memorable thrashings of Liverpool 9-2 and Everton 7-3 (double stuffing for the Merseysiders).
*Cough!* Subliminal mid-paragraph message: don't pay any attention to Rochie - Middlesbrough are rubbish *Cough!*
The end of WWII saw the birth of another great team. Newcastle signed Jackie Milburn after he responded to their advert for triallists and with his help they lifted the FA Cup three more times in five years. They also recorded the highest scoring victory in league history, thumping Newport County 13-0.
European success followed with the Fairs Cup (now UEFA Cup) in 1969.

In 1971 Malcolm MacDonald was signed, devastating in front of goal, he led them to Wembley twice and also became a Newcastle legend.

Kevin Keegan returned to the club as manager to give Newcastle their next high point, returning from the old first division to challenge for Premiership champions and coming runner-up.
He went on to sign Alan Shearer for 15 million pounds, then a record. Local lad Shearer went on to challenge local lad Milburn (see earlier entry) for highest club goal tally, took it and carved his niche in the hearts of the Geordie faithfull and Newcastle United history.
Keegan also saw Newcastle return to Europe on Champion's League duty where more often than not, injuries would reveal our thin squad and inevitably halt our momentum.

Legend and local lad Bobby Robson becomes manager and once more Newcastle come within a hair's breadth of the Premiership. More forays into Europe.

Club now feeling the aftershocks of former owner Freddie Shepherd's tenure; generous with the money but hopeless at choosing and/or keeping managers. The constant managerial turn-over destabilised the club in the long term and we're paying for it now.

Long-standing bitter rivals are Wearside neighbours Sunderland, who wear a thin, effeminate pretence of a shirt in red and white stripes.

The club are renowned for their flair for all-out attacking football, something loved, and lately missed by their fanbase.

First pic is the first existing photo of Newcastle United 1895
The other two are various cup victories

Attachments

• newcastle1.jpg
    newcastle1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 105
  • newcastle2.jpg
    newcastle2.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 84
  • newcastle3.jpg
    newcastle3.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 95
Some of the personalities I mentioned (clockwise from top left)

Jackie Milburn
Malcolm MacDonald
Alan Shearer

all prolific goalscorers

Attachments

• newcastle6.jpg
    newcastle6.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 94
  • newcastle5.jpg
    newcastle5.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 91
  • newcastle4.jpg
    newcastle4.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 88
Great post. Newcastle looks like a great club! I like MU because it is always on the television and same with Real Madrid. Which leads to the question of how you all choose your teams. Are they local, tradition, or skill??

There has been some good matches in Houston here between the U.S. and Mexico teams. And we have the Houston Dynamos which are national champions.

I love both sports.

I call the NFL American Football and I call Soccer (what most Americans call it) just Football.

My favorite teams are:

NFL (American Football):
San Francisco 49ers

Football:
The German National Team
FC Bayern Munich
VFB Stuttgart

I can tell you this. If you have not experienced a World Cup, it is a must! I got to experience the World Cup 2006 here in Germany and it was an amazing time! The whole country was just one big party!

I also love going to games. I have not been to a German National team game since 2003 when I went and saw Germany play Italy in Stuttgart. My last club game that I went to was last year and I saw FC Bayern Munich play 1. FC Nurnberg in Nurnberg.

Here are some pics that I have taken:

FC Bayern Munich vs. 1 FC Nurnberg in Nurnberg
FCB-Nur.jpg

FCB-Nur2.jpg

FCB-Nur3.jpg

FCB-Nur4.jpg

FCB-Nur5.jpg

FCB-Nur6.jpg

FCB-Nur7.jpg

FCB-Nur8.jpg

FCB-Nur9.jpg

European Cup 2008:

gt1.jpg

gt10.jpg

gt2.jpg

gt1.jpg

gt4.jpg

gt5.jpg

gt7.jpg

gt8.jpg

ger2.jpg

ger5.jpg

World Cup 2006 in Germany

WM2006Germanyvs.Argentina30June200321301.jpg

WM2006Germanyvs.Argentina30June200321221.jpg

Yes that is me and my wife hugging after Germany beat Argentina...
WM2006Germanyvs.Argentina30June200321031.jpg

WM2006Germanyvs.Argentina30June200320971.jpg

WM2006Germanyvs.Argentina30June200320941.jpg

WM2006Germanyvs.Argentina30June200320671.jpg

WM2006Germanyvs.Argentina30June200320661.jpg

WM2006Germanyvs.Argentina30June200320161.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back