some F35 info

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would expect it to beat those. The F-35 is a whole generation better.

I'm not entirely sure exactly why the F-35 beat the other contenders, possibly because of its technological lead, but the other contenders' manufacturers pulled out all the stops, with Eurofighter consortium offering limited production in Switzerland and access to other weapon systems to sweeten the deal, I think Boeing did the same with the Super duper Hornet. I suspect the F-35 is a means by which Switzerland introduces greater integration with US and other European forces that operate the type; the Swiss have traditionally been outliers that kept their own defence agenda, but the interoperability and information sharing that comes with the F-35 could possibly signal a policy change for the Swiss?

I honestly thought the Swiss would take the F-18.

I have to say that the F-18 is a fantastic bird, but it's getting long in the tooth.

The F-35, F-22, Su-57 and whatever the hell that Chinese thing is, are all 5th generation platforms.
It seems to me, that the Swiss want to be 21st century current.

Considering that they've traditionally been conservative in such hardware acquisitions, this speaks volumes.

The Swiss have F/A-18's but they are nearing the end of their operational life, as are their F-5's. Spares for that generation of F-5's and -18's are getting harder to come by, without expensive programs to tool up and build new parts. It's not too hard to tool up for that bulkhead that needs replacement, or super expensive, but people miss the need for several million dollars of additional tooling and fixtures required to replace the bulkhead.

One can't help but wonder if Lockheed-Martin isn't using the same marketing used by Lockheed to foist the F-104 all over Europe in the 60's...

In short....no. The F-35 included international partners right from the outset (e.g. United Kingdom, Italy, Netherlands, Australia, Norway, Denmark and Canada). That wasn't a sales tactic. It was a Government-to-Government agreement whereby partners got a piece of the action depending on their degree of commitment to the programme. Note that all the partners except Australia are members of NATO. Once those partners got the F-35, it was a good bet that other European nations would follow suit.

Deja vu! Sounds like the same song and dance we ignorami were fed in the 1960s over the F104. Only many fatalities later did the real story start to trictkle out.
Even as a teenager I thought the F104 was an overhyped gee whiz one trick pony. But what did I know?

Yes - but the vote is only a "fork over the money vs end the procurement and try again later" vote... it is NOT a "buy something else" vote.

Note that in 2014 the same was the case... the Swiss people voted to not fund the Gripen E/F purchase the Swiss AF and government had selected in 2012.

With the introduction of the F-15EX I'm wondering if aircraft performance has plateaued. If it was a sitting duck, I can't see the Air Force acquiring them, unless there is some darker, evil reason behind it.

Well, I'd say hedging their bets. They built nowhere near enough F-22's and have already built too many F-35's so the F-15ex will be there to be a known quantity for the medium term till they see if the F-35 actually performs in combat as well as they think it will from exercises. Reality has a way of being far different from a Tom Clancy-esque fantasy where everything works perfect the first try.

With the introduction of the F-15EX I'm wondering if aircraft performance has plateaued. If it was a sitting duck, I can't see the Air Force acquiring them, unless there is some darker, evil reason behind it.
A robust sophisticated airframe CAN sometimes be a relatively low cost vehicle for later generations of avionics, powerplants, weapons, and aerodynamic upgrades, provided it has sufficient growth potential built in at the start.

Users who are viewing this thread