Some SOE and MI5/6 equipment

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glider

Captain
Apr 23, 2005
Lincolnshire
I found a new Museum in Maldon England on Thursday which was unusual for two reasons

a) Everything in it, is owned by a Private Collector and its all original
b) It has some unusual items that relate to special operations during and after WW2

Some of these items were things that I had never heard of. Most of the items displayed were donated by Peter and Pru Mason, a real life married couple both of whom had active roles in the Secret Service. Peter was on operations towards the end of WW2 with Pru starting post war.

There is little doubt that Peter helped Ian Fleming with some of the details for the James Bond books, an honour claimed by many but this seems to have more evidence behind them.

There were a number of items to do with historical periods but I have concentrated on this aspect.
If anyone in the UK is in the area I suggest a visit, its worth it.

Attachments

• History.jpg
    History.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 175
  • History 2 web.jpg
    History 2 web.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 007 PPK.jpg
    007 PPK.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Cockleshell Hero Original Canoe Web.jpg
    Cockleshell Hero Original Canoe Web.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Sea Going Sailing Canoe Web.jpg
    Sea Going Sailing Canoe Web.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 167
A few more photo's.
I was very interested in the 1942 IR viewer, which was very small for the day being no larger than a water carried by every soldier. It looked very impressive but I have no details about the performance of this.

Attachments

• Makes Your eyes water.jpg
    Makes Your eyes water.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Original IR Monocular web.jpg
    Original IR Monocular web.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Smoking Kils.jpg
    Smoking Kils.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 144
  • Smoking Kills again.jpg
    Smoking Kills again.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 141
Before I continue with the Secret Squirrel aspect there was one item that would make anyone think. It was a written order found in a Pill Box at Passchendale.

It reads

(1) This position will be held and the sectin will remain here until relieved
(2) The Enemy cannot be allowed to interfere with this Programme
(3) If the Section cannot remain here alive, it will remain here dead, but in any case it will remain here.
(4) Should any man through Shell Shock or such cause attempt to surrender he will stay here dead.
(5) Should all guns be blown out the Section will use Mills grenades and other novelties
(6) Finally, the position as stated will be held

Attachments

• The Last Stand.jpg
    The Last Stand.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 144
The Lapel Blade came to light when in 2005 Pru was going through security at an airport, apparently it woke the security people up. However they didn't find the Garrotting wire hidden inside the metal frame of her handbag.
She would have been in her 70's, a Mother in Law not to tangle with!!

Attachments

• The Hunt.jpg
    The Hunt.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Antidote.jpg
    Antidote.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Lapel Blade.jpg
    Lapel Blade.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 129
  • Frisk Knife.jpg
    Frisk Knife.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Flat Foot.jpg
    Flat Foot.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 133
Thanks Glider, very interesting material. As far as the IR monocular is concerned, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the effective visual range was in the region of 150 to 200 metres, possibly with an adjustable eyepiece to allow 3X magnification. This is based upon similar equipment, although slightly 'refined', dating from the 1950's, that I once had occassion to use. Hope this helps.

Airframes, don't wish to contradict, but a IR monocular that has 150-200m in that time frame would have been eons ahead of then current day technology of pre-Gen I. While you might be able to see inclement light at that range, the resolution would have been shite without much more modern collector plate and seperate illuminator.

Your thoughts?

You're quite right Matt. What I failed to state was, that the maximum range, IIRC, was 150 to 200m in good, clear air, without any haze or moisture. Even then, the resolution, as you quite rightly pointed out, was not at all good, with anything at that range that was visible, being just a blur of shape and shadow.
The best results I seem to recall, were around 75 metres, and even then, the image was far from sharp or clear. The equipment had, we were told, been manufactuted in the mid-fifties, and was not that different from the early types used during WW2. BTW, the reason for using this at the time (late 70's), was to simulate the use of captured, 'second rate' equipment on a particular exercise. I have to admit at a little cheating, and collecting some Int by using the 'Starlight' 'scope I'd hidden in my Bergen! Who cares who wins, as long as it's me!!

Airframes and Matt
Thanks for your information,I guessed tht it wouldn't have a massive range but was impressed with how small and neat it was. All other early NV equipment that I had seen tended to be big lumpy things that I wouldn't want to carry far.

Cool. Really liked the cigarette gun and the pipe gun. I thought that kind of equipment existed only in James Bond movies.

Nice post.

Cheers

A few last photo's

Attachments

• Ian Flemmings Flask.jpg
    Ian Flemmings Flask.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Kiss of Death.jpg
    Kiss of Death.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 140
  • Pauls Garroting Wire.jpg
    Pauls Garroting Wire.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 140
More good stuff Glider, I'm going to have to pay a visit when I'm down that way. I like the whisky flask, which looks very like one I was given, along with matching, interlocking 'cups', when I left the Forces. Only ever used it twice, in the days when I could still ski !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back