Sopwith

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
Sopwith_05_Baby 1915.jpg
Sopwith_04_Triplane_captured by germans.jpg
Sopwith_03.jpg
Sopwith_02_Pup_1916.jpg
Sopwith_01_Pup_N6454-HMS-Furious-1917.jpg

Sopwith got known as The Sopwith Zoo as a result of its aeroplane names! Only around for eight years and built 18,000 of some 100 different types, the Camel being the most numerous; the aeroplane that it was said, was "so famous the Arabs named a desert dwelling animal after it"!
Maybe it is a change in culture and expectation we now expect a piece of military machinery to have a war like name.

Yeah, probably; the RAF stated its preference for nomenclature pretty much from the get go after April 1918 and manufacturers took notice rather than naming their machines whatever they wanted, although officialdom did like names that had the same first letter as the manufacturers, like Sopwith Snipe, or BAT Basilisk, or Vickers Valentia, etc. I think fighters were to have Birds of Prey names; I don't have a copy of the AP on standard nomenclature, but it allowed silly sounding names like Boulton Paul Bobolink, for example.

Sopwith Bat Captured

Found this in an old magazine Snautzer - not as good as your image above but the caption explains this particular Bat Boat was sold to the Germans and flown to them in late May 1914 by Wilhelm Hillman and given the German Naval serial of 44....

img277.jpg

Found this in an old magazine Snautzer - not as good as your image above but the caption explains this particular Bat Boat was sold to the Germans and flown to them in late May 1914 by Wilhelm Hillman and given the German Naval serial of 44....

View attachment 474476
That isn't trade it is sabotage:razz:

In a reciprocal situation, the Germans sold the British non rigid airships, specifically the Parseval type before the war, of which a licence was bought by Vickers to build them. I think Vickers built three, and the RNAS received one from the Germans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back