Sorry for not being here much.......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You just maybe Colin. In Iowa, we have about 6-7 dirt tracks within a hours drive of Des Moines, which is the state's capital. I have been told Iowa has more tracks per capita than any other state in the US. We also have a new Speedway about 45 east of Des Moines where the IRL, Nascar Trucks, and other series race. Also have several decent drag strips not to far away.

Oh yes, definitely a racing state. biggest name I remember in LM racing from there was Gary Webb.Never been to any tracks there though.

Messy, Snafud1
yes I'm in to auto racing but only as a spectator.
I do build engines and I do it pretty professionally (if I do say so myself) but I don't do built-for-purpose race engines, most I do is incorporate trick stuff into engines that will see the benefit.

Love to get into it, but the expense dictates that I'd have to be building to order, rather than for personal use and building to order would require a race-build rep, unless I'm mistaken.

Messy I started my automotive work in a machine shop in 1985 @24yrs old then.I did it till about 1991 off and on with the guy my main job though was heads.The block work I did was the basics,the other guy did bores and line bores and the boss did the cranks and we all did assembly.The most expensive motor we did got shipped tp Germany for racing and was a 350 when all done was about 10K in 1987 or so.But yea alot of the stuff we did as far as racing was for dirt and the guy Rick who did the blocks had a street class car he played with.

Sorry Buck, I think I confused you with Wilbur or was it...... somebody here also races or builds race cars.

:)

Messy, Snafud1
yes I'm in to auto racing but only as a spectator.
I do build engines and I do it pretty professionally (if I do say so myself) but I don't do built-for-purpose race engines, most I do is incorporate trick stuff into engines that will see the benefit.

Love to get into it, but the expense dictates that I'd have to be building to order, rather than for personal use and building to order would require a race-build rep, unless I'm mistaken.

You build them to whatever class the car is being run in. It starts with one person wanting your engine or build the car you want to race yourself with your engine. You start with a lower class that fits your budget.I run what is called Street Stock. Which really isn't but there are Pure Stock classes that are closer to what the factory puts out.

Well, I finally didn't get too tore up this last Saturday at the track. Just the nose piece got tore up in the heat race. Finished fourth in it and 11th in the feature. Trust me , that's not bad for me.:D

Well, I'm done for a while. Bent the frame last night. I wish the tracks would go back to qualifying every class so the junk cars are in back.

Tell me about it. What gets me is the drivers know they're not that good right now but still want to race the better cars and tear them up instead of starting in the rear so they don't wreck anybody.

You are correct, we hear and see that all the time Snafu! Newbies need seat time, they need to start at the back. smart ones will ask to be out to the back, dumb ones want to go up front right out of the gate and end up getting tore up until they learn how to drive their cars around the track. Most end up getting passed within the first couple laps anyhow, so it does no one any good. I know it can get frustrating as hell getting tore up by someone who had no business being up front.

I took a look at it today and it's not AS bad as I thought , but still gotta hook it up to a frame straightener. Might be back out in 3 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back