Soviet aircraft the west coulda/shoulda used?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice idea, but I'm sure it's been done.

hehe, as a follow up I was just picturing the RLM trying to counter Soviet tactics from 43. A bunch of Prussian retirees sitting around saying stuff like, Hey, their women are putting grenades in bread loaves, that's not fair.
And in typical German fashion invent a new cannon type designed to penetrate bakery ovens from 2000m.

If the Il-2 could absorb more total punishment than the B-17, I'll screw a sheep. I don't think it could take a shot from the 37mm M4 cannon (the one from the P-39) either.

Why not five of them?

titovich_06.jpg

Èíòåðâüþ ñ Â.Â.Òèòîâè÷åì

On his 3rd mission, Titovitch's Il-2 recieved 5 37 mm FlaK bullets, but managed to return to the airfield near MGA, Leningrad vicinity.

VG

I see two impacts. Where were the other 3 ?
Kris

Looks like there's a hole through the port wing root/ flap and another large mess in what's left of the starboard aileron.
Interestingly the hole through the port root looks (from the "lips" around the hole) as if the round went in through the top of the wing... :shock:

The two I saw seem to be the result of the explosion/blast while the one at the wing root just went straight through (as it probably didn't go in from above ;)).

As such the only way it could have survived 5 shells was if they didn't all detonate...
Kris

The control surfaces look to all the world to be made of canvas.
If that's the case it will undoubtedly explain the shells not detonating.
Thing is, how do you goad a barge full of scrap-iron around the sky with canvas control surfaces?

While the damage sustained to that aircraft and the fact that it returned to its base is commendable, it seemed most of the hits it received went through fabric control surfaces taking out some ribs and stringers. There were enough of the control surfaces left to sustain flight obviously.

With that said I doubt the damage would have been that same if the round found its mark squarely on the empennage or at the wing root.

The control surfaces look to all the world to be made of canvas.
If that's the case it will undoubtedly explain the shells not detonating.
Thing is, how do you goad a barge full of scrap-iron around the sky with canvas control surfaces?
More than likely Irish Linen or Cotton.

German pilots had the same problem with Hurricanes: the bullet went through the airplane and came out on the other side, just punching a hole in it...
And there were other airplanes using some kind of fabric.

Below is an Wellington, but the result is the same: skin went off, but the airplane made it back...
File:Vickers_Wellington_Mark_X,_HE239_%27NA-Y%27,_of_No._428_Squadron_RCAF_(April_1943).png

Sorry, the pic doesn't show, you can check it where I saw it...
http://www.answers.com/topic/vickers-wellington

Last edited:
lol not quite - geodesic is the 'giant golf ball' structure built around some satellite earth stations and, believe it or not, modern soccer balls. Pioneered by Buckminster-Fuller I believe.

the Wimpey used a geodetic structure, pioneered by Barnes Wallis.

Hello,

Civettone:I see two impacts. Where were the other 3 ?

Clay_Allison :Not the same round, not all mm's of ordnance are created equal.

With google translator and dictionnary:
On it's 3rd mission, first war day Titovitch's Il-2 was hit by 5 37 mm shells. Broken depth rudder, destroyed right wing spar, broken right aileron, right canon pulled out, broken back cabin armour plates. A lot of small splinters damaged wings and fuselage.

From the pilot itself "... i was the forth of our zveno (fingerfour) platoon, the last plane was usually coming under ennemy fire: germans had a 37 mm automatic gun in this aera feed by cartiges (of five). All the german did, it's to press the pedal and "blam, blam, blam,blam, blam, all in my plane..."

All the shells exploded of course, but partly outside of the plane. The Il-2 wooden monocoque structure (and moreover fabric covered one) was often too soft for 37 mm flak bullets (crossing through the structure, expoding outside) and the bathtub too hard (bullets were exploding too early this time, limiting destruction effects). Sometines even the bathtub was broken in pieces, engine reminded damaged but still in working condition. In fact the bathtub distruction eating some cinetic and blowing energy was limiting on it's turn bullet and splinters penetration inside the engine block.

That mean the Il-2 far from being indestructible was perfectly able to withstand sometimes a full 37 mm AA Flak hit on it's armor.

Colin1 Thing is, how do you goad a barge full of scrap-iron around the sky with canvas control surfaces?
That shows the problem...for the Flak and fighters. Of course Titovitch never saw his Il-2 again (probably scrapped) and used other 872e ShAP (stormoviks air regiment) planes.

Regards

Last edited:

Wow, they seem to have got that right :shock:

Yes, when discussing the structure of a Wallis designed bomber the correct term is always Geodetic. I don't know enough about it understand why but the concept didn't seem able to translate to all-metal aircraft. Even the Windosr (which was roughly comparable to the B-29) had a canvass skin!! :shock:

Rockwell or Brinell testing has no bearing in this situation because there is an element of force, density and trajectory. You factor in the weight of the round and the muzzle velocity plus the harness value of the round. Hardness testers are static and designed to take a surface hardness in a non-dynamic environment.

:shock: It's not has the bearing of anything, it's just a question of the utmost performance in armor piercing matters. So you'll never pierce a safe with a flashball or with a wood-drill. With weight and velocity, of coarse you can just brake it, by craking it. It's not the same thing.

VG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back