Spitfire collapses on runway

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
Antique Spitfire plane collapses on UK runway - Yahoo! News

LONDON (AP) — Airport officials say an antique Spitfire aircraft owned by engine company Rolls Royce collapsed shortly after landing at East Midlands Airport in central England.

The airport said in a statement the World War II-era plane's undercarriage failed as it touched down Monday afternoon. The pilot was unharmed and the damaged aircraft was towed away.

The sleek-looking Spitfire played a pivotal role in the Battle of Britain, when the single-seat fighter helped beat back waves of German bombers. More than 20,000 were built, although only a few dozen remain in working order today.

Rolls Royce, which built the Merlin engines used to power the fighters, says it bought this plane in 1996. It typically appears at airshows and corporate functions.

I hate hearing stuff like this but am glad at least the pilot is OK. Hope they can save the aircraft and that it won't be relegated to static display.

That must be the P.R Mk.XIX PS853 , which carries the registration G-RRGN.

800px-Spitfire_mark19_ps853_takeoff_arp.jpg

Probably that one, if bought in 1996, which is a former BBMF aircraft. They also own (or at least did) a MkXIV, which they've had since the 1960s at least.

It is that one,G-RRGN,but tales of it's demise (wreckage on the runway etc) are somewhat exaggerated.

article-2258569-16CBF521000005DC-742_634x349.gif

spi_2445357b.gif

Cheers

Steve

thats encouraging she seems to be standing on her own...no cranes involved and her prop doesnt look dinged up. wonder if the pilot just didnt get all 3 green lights and planned for the worse.

I agree about the prop looking pretty banged up but, dumb question, was it wood? If metal, I would have expected it to be bent but it looks splintered?????

What's the big deal? I used to collapse at airports all the time. But these days you have to pay for the on flight drinks.

The PR19 is fitted with a wooden 'Jablo' five-blade prop. Not all Spits or Hurricanes have, or had, wooden props - depended on the engine and Mark number, with some using, for example, a three-blade, metal, De-Havilland on the MkV, with later MkVs using a broad-chord, wooden Rotol prop.
Today, most Spit/Hurricane operators will use what is available for the best for the engine and economy of performance to prolong engine/prop life, whilst trying to maintain authenticity of appearance. The BBMF Spits, fro example, use props made by Hoffman - in Germany!

......I would have expected it to be bent ......?????

thats what i was looking at...that they werent rolled back. plus the picture was pretty pixilated. if the prop is wood then yeah it could be splintered...we'll know more as news comes out. now a question....would a wooden prop strike be less severe than a metal prop or cause the same damage?

Last edited:
Regarding the pics that Stona posted, how in the blue hell did they restore that? Obviously I don't know the restoration process, but seriously, from what was remaining, what was salvageable/repairable from that eroded mess?

To answer Bobbysocks' question, generally, less damage can be expected (on a Spit) with a wooden prop, but obviously a lot depends on the severity of the prop strike, whether power on and so forth. A metal prop is more likely to cause shock loading to the crank, in addition to the engine bearers, mounts etc., but in either case, it leads to an engine-out, full strip down and inspection, of both engine and airframe.
It's certainly not the first time that similar damage has occurred (in recent years) to a couple or more Spitfires, through undercarriage collapse, and also complete u/c failure to extend, and no doubt won't be the last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back