Spitfires Found!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The hunt isn't for legendary Spitfires, it's for Spitfires. I admire the man's perseverance, but fear an eventual triumph of reality over hope and expectation.
Cheers
Steve

Well...to be honest, they had to go somewhere.

If they had been cut up for scrap, someone would have recalled that just as there would be someone who would have recalled purchasing the material. If they had been taken intact by someone, they would have popped up at one location or another eventually.

There were also many instances of U.S. aircraft after the conclusion of the PTO, that were pushed off the ends of island runways by bulldozers. I used to have a good article about it somewhere and I think that the site "Pacific Wrecks" may have actually located one of the piles of aircraft, too.

well, personal recollections are better than nothing.

And think about it, if one or more people recalled driving truckloads of scrapped aircraft to the smelter/metal dealer, then that would be a clue as to what may have happened. The dates/times/places may be inaccurate, but that would be a clue as to what may have happened.

As it is, several people have recollected the crated aircraft, but no one can recall exactly what happened. Now, if they were indeed buried, I am sure the equipment operators were under an NDA agreement, because if they went around telling people "yeah, we just dug a bigass hole and dropped them in", that would defeat the purpose of burying them - which was to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands.

So it'll be interesting to see if they are actually found - that would at least one mystery (as there's plenty of other hidden/buried aircraft stories out there)

Saw this photo in a magazine today. Inside the box is a British Auster light aircraft. I would imagine a boxed Spitfire to be a lot bigger. Now, how many boxed Spitfires did this guy think were buried in Burma - 60? You can now imagine the amount of earth that had to moved to fit them. That's why the whole thing seems ludicrous to me...

starting again20160613_20104574.jpg

I don't know Graeme...if the engine were removed the box looks like it could fit an airframe from the firewall back and wings. but like you said that is a heck of a lot of earth to move. would be easier to burn them, crush them with a dozer, them push them in a hole. there was a thread years ago about a place in Norway where the germans did that or the allies did that to german AC.

Saw this photo in a magazine today. Inside the box is a British Auster light aircraft. I would imagine a boxed Spitfire to be a lot bigger. Now, how many boxed Spitfires did this guy think were buried in Burma - 60? You can now imagine the amount of earth that had to moved to fit them. That's why the whole thing seems ludicrous to me...

View attachment 346135
If you think about it, as the war wound down, there were plenty of men and equipment available...nothing surprises me, to be honest.

Here in the U.S., they are pursuing a dig permit at Freeman field, where many Axis planes are buried. They are not sure how many actually ended up there, but they do know that there was a huge pit dug and the planes were shoved in and buried (not in crates, of course).

Here in the U.S., they are pursuing a dig permit at Freeman field, where many Axis planes are buried. They are not sure how many actually ended up there, but they do know that there was a huge pit dug and the planes were shoved in and buried (not in crates, of course).

Dave, no hole dug by Americans would surprise me. Saw this photo in a book the other day. Seabees preparing an airfield in the Pacific - dunno how they got that boulder(?) on whatever that machinery is. Looks like something from the Thunderbirds. Awesome earth-moving capabilities.

But Burma?
The British?
Mate, I keep seeing images of villagers with cane baskets and wheelbarrows preparing airfields there.

boulder.jpg

should this thread be un-stickied ?
Nothing more than hot air was found/produced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back