Spitfires in my Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Spitfan

Airman
Jan 7, 2007
Here is a pic of two kits in which I´m working.
Spitfire Mk VI - 1/48
Spitfire Mk XVI - 1/48

The Spitfire Mk I in the left is finished and is the one that can be seen in my other thread (Some of my latest builds).

I´ll keep on posting the progress.:D

Attachments

• Spits01.jpg
    Spits01.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 285
  • Spits02.jpg
    Spits02.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 296
No, the one with pointed wing tips is the Mk VI, and yes it was the first Spitfire with presurizad cabin for high altitude operations.
The Mk XVI is the one with clipped wings.

the spitfire is probably my favorite WWII airplane. nice job with the models

After seeing your beautiful work, I went home and packed up the
F-84G with which I was 85% complete and put it away upstairs.
I just couldn't face it.

Looking forward to more photo's as you progress, Spitfan. Hopefully, I will
learn something.

Thanks for the kind words fellows.
Hi "twoeagles", don´t do that please, the only way to advance and adquire a good level in modelling is to build, build and build, no matter if the result isn´t what you would like. There are a lot of places where you can read and learn from another modellers. The most important thing with modelling is PATIENCE. So IMHO if I were you, I would take that F 84G an finish the build, and then buy another kit and start building again. You can ask me whatever you want about building AC kits, if I can help you I´ll do it.

Here I post more images and will continue doing it until I finish the kit. The same with the Mk XVI and if you want I can do it with progres pics of my last Mk I

Attachments

• MkVI04.jpg
    MkVI04.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 266
  • MkVI01.jpg
    MkVI01.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 264
  • MkVI02.jpg
    MkVI02.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 259
  • MkVI03.jpg
    MkVI03.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 260
hi spitfan! at this moment in time i'm building a spitfire MK XVI myself, in 1/72 scale. its a heller kit and it tells you to use the wrong colour for the interior! they say humbrol 87 which i'm sure is a typo for 78, of course i only found out after i had closed up the fusalage!
spitfireXVIe008.jpg

Hang-on there are three different wing shapes represented because one of them looks a bit more like a surf-board. One set has a very oval shape. Then the other has a very clipped look. Is the oval shape just very noticable because the wing is unpainted?

The spitfire from the Mk V on has three diferent types of wintips depending the role of the aircraft.
1) Extended (High altitude)
2) Clipped (Low altitude)
3) Normal

My Mk VI has extended wingtips. It was a special aircrfat for high altitudes operations.

The Mk XVI (almonkey´s) is a totally diferent one, it was for low level ops.

hi spitfan! at this moment in time i'm building a spitfire MK XVI myself, in 1/72 scale. its a heller kit and it tells you to use the wrong colour for the interior! they say humbrol 87 which i'm sure is a typo for 78, of course i only found out after i had closed up the fusalage!
spitfireXVIe008.jpg

Great looking Spit. How was the build. Easy ?
Right now I´m finishing the last details of the Mk VI and masking the Mk XVI for painting the second camo colour.
I´ll post some pics in a couple of days:p

Hey, great looking Spitfires you've built there! The detailing that model makers, like yourself, put into their projects is very impressive.

I myself make models, but only for planning my art compositions, so they normally end up adorned in grey primer which I have always thought was a shame.

Look forward to seeing some more Spits from you in the future!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back