SS United States to be scrapped ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Driven past it a bunch of times. Just sitting there. Was amazed it hasn't been scrapped so far.

Would probably be better if it were striped and sank off NJ as an artificial reef/diving attraction, but that probably won't happen.

Probably headed to Baltimore and the scrap yards.

I didnt know she was still afloat.

I believe she has outlived her usefulness. The Queen Mary has been a cash black hole on Long Beach ever since she found a perm home there. It would be nice if they could remove the main dining hall and turn it into a restaurant.

I'd like to walk around her decks though.

On a similar subject, how's the campaign to secure the future of USS Iowa at Vallejo, CA going?

I can't believe that this priceless super-relic and last battleship in the world in reserve could be under any threat.

On a similar subject, how's the campaign to secure the future of USS Iowa at Vallejo, CA going?

I can't believe that this priceless super-relic and last battleship in the world in reserve could be under any threat.

2 Iowa Class BBs are safe as Museums.. .. scrapping the remaining USS Iowas would be very sad but not a travesty.

Last edited:
I think three are preserved, USS Missouri is at Pearl Harbour, USS New Jersey is at Camden NJ, USS Wisconsin is in Norfolk. There's just USS Iowa left at Suisan Bay, a short distance from Vallejo (Mare Island) CA.

I think scrapping Iowa would be a travesty and should be avoided at all costs, once these great icons have gone, that's it they're gone. The UK were poor at preserving ships whereas the US have done much better, and well done to them for doing so and preserving their precious heritage.

The three Iowa class battleships are located where you remembered them being Loiner.

Iowa class battleship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree that once these ship are gone there is no bringing them back.

The Iowa is the ship that was used to take FDR to Casblanca for the Teheran Conference.
U.S. Navy Battleships - USS Iowa (BB 61)

In the fall, Iowa carried President Franklin D. Roosevelt to Casablanca, French Morocco, on the first leg of his journey to the Teheran Conference in November. After the conference she returned the President to the United States.

A little side story about the "uneventful" trip to Casblanca on the Iowa. USS PORTER DD579 STORY

@ Sys I really can't give a good reason why the SS United States should be saved I just felt it should.

Wheels

Caught a glimpse of the "United States" as I was driving into Philly yesterday.

But also got a look at the "New Jersey" further up the river.

First time I've seen either ship. "United States" looks like she needs a lot of work. Would rather see other warships saved instead if it was my decision.

TO

TO, you missed the Philly Navy Yard where there a bunch of ships collecting rust.

Not as many as there used to be. Now, most of them are cargo types. The Warships have all gone to the breakers. At least most of them. Used to be a great collection of 8" cruisers, Kidd Class Destroyers, Fram 2 types, all sorts of ships. All gone now. Even the stuff that was built in the 70s is pretty much gone or going. Probably starting to get rid of the early Burkes now.

Now, the Olympia in Philly is an example of a ship that needs to be preserved..

one of a kind:

It is always on the list of endangered historical sites:

Historic Naval Ships Visitors Guide - USS Olympia

olympia2.jpg

If you've ever been there, to get on the 'Olympia' you have to cross over a submarine. At least the last time I went. Tim, I wasn't aware that most of those ships are gone. One of my towns is right across the DElaware from the Yard and I sometimes have lunch looking at those huge beasts.

I was on the Olympia a few years ago but i dont remember a sub..

what kind of sub?

The Olypmpia is a mind f*ck... friendly white paint, wooden, brass, almost ornate fixtures and the cold utilitarian feel of a steel hull.
it's like something out of Jules Vern.

Last edited:
If you've ever been there, to get on the 'Olympia' you have to cross over a submarine. At least the last time I went. Tim, I wasn't aware that most of those ships are gone. One of my towns is right across the DElaware from the Yard and I sometimes have lunch looking at those huge beasts.

Njaco, I was stationed there back in the 80s. They still had a lot of warships then. The 8" Cruisers were mostly Des Moines class. Remember one of them had a barrell missing from one of the turrets. Word was it blew up during the Vietnam war on a NGFS shoot. Wiped out about 30 some odd Marines who were manning the turret.

There were a ton of DE/FFs, DDs, CAs and the odd CV or Amphib there. But they were moving them to the Breakers even then. A lot of WW2/Early Cold War stuff was there and it's all gone now. They really downsized big time after the Soviet Union collapsed. For example, I was on two ships. One was a WW2 DD. That one went away in 1983. They replaced it with a 1970 FF. That one was retired in early 90s. The DD ended up a missle target for Pakistan (so it was rumored) and the FF went to the Breakers in Baltimore around 1998. One had a life of 40 years, the other barely 25.

Stuff moving through there now is late 70's/early 80s vintage. I think, but am not sure, that the ships there on long term are part of the reserve fleet for logistics. All I can see from 95N looks like there are no Warships in there, all cargo carrier stuff.

I was on the Olympia a few years ago but i dont remember a sub..

what kind of sub?

The Olypmpia is a mind f*ck... friendly white paint, wooden, brass, almost ornate fixtures and the cold utilitarian feel of a steel hull.
it's like something out of Jules Vern.

The Sub is a Gato class or similar. I think it's the Baccuna. Not sure.

Was on the Olympia myself about 30-40 years ago. It is a nutty ride through history. Practically no compartmentalization, all wide open. Hit it with a torpedo, anywhere, and that sucker is going down. Wood, varnished to a high gloss, paint, furniture and all sorts of things on it. If it ever took a couple of hits, it would burn like a box of matches.

Or, as they used to joke, Damage Control consisted of the flooding putting the fires out.

And you had to be 4 foot nothing even to live/work in there! Tim, I think thats what I mostly see now are the cargo ships althought I thought I saw a LCT type ship a few months back.

Cosimo, here are some pics.....

Attachments

• 2328246482_0e9f4fc1a2.jpg
    2328246482_0e9f4fc1a2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 370
  • 3564226834_40297a5c35.jpg
    3564226834_40297a5c35.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
It is always sad to see a relic die, I would do almost anything to see the Olympic or a WW2 battleship or the Great Eastern, but noting is meant to last forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back