Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Falcon, eh? Damn, I missed that one. :confused:
Oh well. I also plan to get the DVD, so I'll have lots of time to find it. I may even see it again beforehand, with my father. He's a big fan too. :)

lesofprimus said:
Obi-Wan Kenobi allowed Darth Vader to free his spirit from his body because he wanted to help Luke further his training, and become the one who will bring balance to the force....

Darth Vader DID NOT kill Obi-Wan... His body became one with the force, something he learned while languishing in the Tattoine Desert...

Thanks for the information, Les. I appreciate it. But tell me, did you read that in one of the many Star Wars novels or is it your personnal understanding of the movie ?

Nonskimmer said:
Well it can't be any worse than some of the English-Canadian guys I've heard speaking French. Did you ever watch the parliamentary debates on TV? :lol:
Besides, there are some strange accents around these parts, and English is our native language. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I occasionnaly watch the parlimentary debates. Most English accents are just cute. But some of them sounds really weird...

The weirdest English accent I ever heard is the ex-boxer Dave Hilton. Man, that guy is unbelievable. You never know if he is speaking French or English. I'm not kidding, recently a repporter interviewed him in prison. He was speaking FRENCH but we needed the subtitles to know what he was talking about.

However, his daughter (Jenny Hilton) got a nice accent.

lesofprimus said:
Maestro, i have pieced it together through George Lucas interviews, rough drafts of the original script, and my own knowledge of the Star Wars saga, and alittle bit if info that is revealed in the new movie......

Oh, right. Thank you.

Maestro said:
Yeah, I occasionnaly watch the parlimentary debates. Most English accents are just cute. But some of them sounds really weird...

Heh heh heh, you're gonna struggle if you come over here! Some of the accents are so pronounced that British people have a job understanding them!

One of my Grandmothers lived to 94, and spent her entire life in the North West and spoke in a heavy East Lancashire dialect. I could understand her, and Plan D probably would - anyone from across the pond - no way.

People from Liverpool and Newcastle (Scousers and Geordies) have unique accents, as do people from Birmingham (Brummies)

This is not a very good list, but might give you a rough idea

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/

Once, while in Liverpool, I had to ask a woman to repeat a question three times before I finally gave up trying to understand her, and embarrassingly asked her to slow it down a bit. :oops:
Her speech was so clipped I didn't have a clue what she wanted. Turns out she was asking about my sweater. :lol:

Some of the Newfie accents are a treat to try to understand too. Especially from the northern peninsula. :rolleyes:
And even a small province like Nova Scotia has some real doozies. Try Cape Breton sometime, or the south shore. :lol:

I should add I don't speak in a Bristolian accent - (see the Vicky Pollard clip on the link)

Awight my luvver?

Nah.

Mine has softened over time, after moving to Halifax. It was never that harsh to begin with, but it was a bit more "east coastery". :lol:
My wife says it's a little more pronounced when I drink. I think she's lying. :rolleyes:

;)

To me it sounds like regular Canadian - If I was pushed to describe it myself, that's kind of like a mix between Scottish and the American accents.

Newfie is unique - no question there. Just about the strangest accent ever. Can't imagine what a Labradorian accent sounds like.

Labradorians are a mix of Newfs and Québecers, so it's strange. :lol:
And les, I have been known to say "aboot" on rare occasions. :rolleyes:

The first is a musical example of a "typical" Nova Scotian accent. ;)
As you can hear, there's nothing exactly extreme about it. Some folks in the rural areas have more of a twang to their speech than this. (Warning!: it's country!)

The accent in the second one is a little bit more Cape Bretonish, but still decipherable. I couldn't find a decent recording of a good Cape Breton drawl. :lol:

Attachments

• john_allen_cameron_-_good_times_105.mpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 71
  • mcginty_-__sonny_s_dream_138.mpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 99
A little story :

During the last "British Holiday" event, I was on duty (alone) in a room to watch over skies to make sure no one try to steal some of them. Around 9 A.M., a British group (well, all groups using that room were British) entered to take their stuff and a (approx.) 12 years old girl looked at me and said :

Did you get X ? (Where X is a word that I did not understand.)

I had to make her repeat three times before we both gave up. Then I thought to myself and, 5 minutes later, I lighten up. She was asking me : "Did you get bored ?"

The British accent is a nice one and I can (generally) understand it quite well. But this time, I don't know where she was from exactly in Britain, but I didn't get it because of her accent. She was pronouncing "bored" as "boor". For a little French-Canadian like me it was hard to light-up on that one.

To come back on the aboot/about thing, I saw a show on CBC a while back about the difference between American/British/Canadian and Young/Old accents.

For exemple, young (less than 35 years old) Canadians pronounce :

About as : Aboot
News as : Nooz

While older Canadians (over 60) pronounce :

About as : Ab-out
News as : Nyews

Americans pronounce :

About as : Abaout

British pronounce :

Drop Zone as : Drohp Zaone
Layer as : Lay-her

I'm not gonna read all of this, but I do want to see the movie for two reasons.

#1. It looks cool!

#2. It's an excuse for a date-ish kinda thing. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back