Stringbags gives me a headache! WWI aircraft...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The rigging on my Sopwith Camel seems to have softened up badly since I fitted it and took the photos last week, and as mentioned before warming them with a hairdrier seems to only work temporarily no matter what I try, so I've decided to bite the bullet and have stripped it all off, and started again with the finer nylon 'invisible mending' thread.

I tried making thread from stretched sprue, which worked fairly well but I couldn't quite get the thickness consistant enough, so decided to try the very fine nylon thread.

I've completed one wing of bracing so far, it is easier to fit than the thicker thread I used previously, and is looking good and taught, but I think I'll leave it a few days now to see if anything changes over time. The only down side is it is so fine, but hopefully after painting it a darker colour it'll show up more effectively.

Ah, sorry! I thought you were already using the 'invisible' thread.
Given there are no 'kinks' in it when fitted, and you get it taught, it shouldn't sag. If it does, it'll only be marginal, and the hair drier trick will work on this material.
Even a thin coat of paint, especially a 'silver' or similar, will make a big difference too.

It progressed this weekend, so all the rigging is now replaced. I've started painting the final colours now.

The rigging sagged slightly in the cold room it was stored in, so i took it downstairs to start work on tightening it up and before I'd got the tools out the warmth of the room had done it's work and all were nice and taught again before having the chance to do anything.

I also found that airbrushing the main colour made the lines sag again (presumably due to the cooling effect caused by de-pressurising of the spraying process), but a quick pass with the hairdrier brought them all back up tight again, and they stayed tight after cooling back to room temperature. So, so far, so good. :)

It seems that after a number of coats of paint and varnish sprayed over the aircraft, the rigging appears more stable now, ie. is staying taught under differeing conditions, which is good news.

The aircraft is fully painted and decalled now, just some minor work and weathering to do, photos to follow soon.

Ok, just finished it about half an hour ago, I still need to go over it with a fine tooth comb to check for minor errors or omissions, but I think I'm generally happy with it. The rigging never did come out quite right, but it's not as bad as I initially thought, as per the previous postings above.

The pilot looks a bit drunk, although he could be having a quick snooze in the afternoon sun between missions.

Attachments

• Camel 1.JPG
    Camel 1.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Camel 2.JPG
    Camel 2.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Camel 3.JPG
    Camel 3.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Camel 4.JPG
    Camel 4.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Camel 5.JPG
    Camel 5.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I like it ! I reckon the pilot is just dazed - the effect of his first flight in a Camel, with the engine torque giving him a surprise !!

I've decided he's just looking up upwards to check the cloud formations before setting off. Seems reasonable to me.

Although I agree, reading about some of the earlier experiences of pilots new to Camels, he could well be thanking his lucky stars for getting back down in one piece.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back