Sukhoi Fighter Starting Flight Tests

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I should also add that the F-22 makes no attempt at IR stealth from its nozzles, don't be fooled by the cool design. That is a product of the requirement to vector the thrust. It is still very hot gas coming out of the back

The engines used are the same for the Su-35. Indigenous engines are still in development. I have read that the intro date is 2018+. Given the Su-27 development, I suspect that is conservative.

Also note that the inlets are in direct alignment with the engine fan blades. Not too stealthy now is it. Even with inlet diffusers.

She is a beauty. Does remind one of the F-23... which should have won on sheer beauty alone against the F-22.

Last edited:
Methinks that people in Lockheed-Martin are jumping with joy as we speak.

Give the Russians some credit. There are similarities between this two aircraft, but T-50 is far from being simply a copy of YF-23.

Attachments

• tn_800x600_442748_63854_yf23pakfa.jpg
    tn_800x600_442748_63854_yf23pakfa.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Give the Russians some credit. There are similarities between this two aircraft, but T-50 is far from being simply a copy of YF-23.

:) Never stated that T-50 was copy of YF-23...
BTW, there are two (2) Russian jets in my posts, so I'm giving the credit :).

The 'jump for joy' phrase was pointing out that LM is now more likely to receive more orders for their planes.

Don't think we is saying its a copy.

Don't think that at all.

But it does look very good...the below view looks Sweeeeeet.

But early doors as we say and let's see if the thing goes into production.

No problem Tomo, I've simply misunderstood your post... :)
I agree, it will be interesting to fallow the further development of this aircraft.

Last edited:
Judging from the latest Igor's photo, there are 4 'doors' in lower hull. It would be cool to know if the R-37s could be carried there.

Not trying to be argumentative (though people tell me its natural gift I have) but, supposing all goes to plan of course, I would think it would be more likely to sell better than the Lockheed alternative. If only because Sukhoi wont be squeamish about exports and they tend to be a lot cheaper. In this area the 'similarities' might well prove an asset.

Judging from the latest Igor's photo, there are 4 'doors' in lower hull. It would be cool to know if the R-37s could be carried there.

Yes, that does look like two internal tandem weapons bays doesn't it? If so, that would allow for a decent internal load without compromising the stealth. We obviously need, and crave, a closer look:)

Not trying to be argumentative (though people tell me its natural gift I have) but, supposing all goes to plan of course, I would think it would be more likely to sell better than the Lockheed alternative. If only because Sukhoi wont be squeamish about exports and they tend to be a lot cheaper. In this area the 'similarities' might well prove an asset.

On a related note, the trio of current Western European fighters would be looked as obsolescent in many eyes now. Guess we could see new designs pretty soon, at least as Photoshop jobs.

lol yes, but on a positive note, this should do wonders for Eurofighter and Eurojets request for AESA and 3d TVC in the next lot of Typhoons (and as retrofit to existing frames), supported by the RAF and Luftwaffe as far as I know, but not YET by HMG.

In fact if these measures are not adopted as standard on every Typhoon built we deserve everything we get.

I think the 'Super Typhoon' is the most we can hope for, there will be no European manned 5 gen fighter imho. All energies are now focussed on making such as Neuron and Taranis into operational realities and buying as many F-35 as we can afford between us.

I think the 'full spec' Gripen NG is still competitive, Don't know what plans exist for the Rafale in the future

Last edited:
In fact if these measures are not adopted as standard on every Typhoon built we deserve everything we get.

Money is always going to be the issue. It's quite easy to improve capability by retrofitting 3D thrust vectoring nozzles and CAESAR, both of them already exist and even give cost savings over the aircraft life. The problem comes when you realise there's no capital available to make the investment for these retrofits (at least currently). Retrofitting EJ270 engines would be nice as well but its unlikely to happen. It's unfortunate that the probable date for a Typhoon mid life update also coincides with the time when we're going to be spending obscene amounts of money buying F-35s.

5th generation European fighter designs already exist, they just don't have any chance of flying. Still, Typhoon and F-35 are going to be around for the next 20-30years and it's difficult to guess what the threat will be at that point. Most interest is going into UCAVs for increased capability and lower costs - there are a lot of issues with air-to-air combat and UCAVs but we don't really know what the level of technology will be in another 20-30years.

Must remember that the Su-27 protoype looked nothing like the operational fighter and that other Sukhoi superfighters like the Su-35 and Su-47 Berkut didnt go anywhere.

Looks more a proof of concept.

Su-47 Berkut was build only as a experimental aircraft and technology demonstrator similar as the German-American X-31. It wasn't intended to enter series production.

Su-47 Berkut was build only as a experimental aircraft and technology demonstrator similar as the German-American X-31. It wasn't intended to enter series production.

Sukhoi did attempt to give the Su-47 a production role as the desgin was flying...came to nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back