Super detailing Guillow's P-51D Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The original root faux rib template that has been cut out is in correct positon as on the real aircraft. However, since I'm building the panels separately from the center section, I may have to deviate and add another faux rib right at the edge where the wheel well outline and wing panel ends at the root. I'm thinking this should close up the "box" that is the shape of the wheel well and give added support to the edge of the outline. While holding the wing, I could see the foil hanging over the edge. Keep in mind that I'm also trying to maintain the airfoil of the underside of the wing. This picture shows the wing panel upside down. So, everything will depend upon the close tolerances of the faux ribs and the integrity of the whole construction. Opinions? Suggestions?

Attachments

• P-51 wheel well detail # 28.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 80
  • P-51 wheel well & wing outlines # 51A.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 86
Given that the skin of the wheel well outline may be very fragile, I may have to detail the interior prior to adding the bottom skin. This way, my big thumbs and fingers won't cause any damage along the edges of the wheel well outline of the skin, since its only made of paper and foil. This may involve me guessing where to add the plumbing for maximum viewing as on the real aircraft. If anything, I will also have to consider the landing light and how its to be mounted such that it doesn't "pull" the skin from its own weight.

Last edited:
Good afternoon gentlemen,

I haven't been resting on my laurels. Quite contrary, I've been busy working on the Mustang project. I had to bounce around from wheel well details, to cockpit interiors, to fuselage-to-wing join, to belly scoop and (now) back to cockpit interiors. Here, this is a partial list of why I decided it might be best for me to temporarily put a halt on the wheel well detailing. As can easily be seen from this profile scale drawing, the underside of the fuselage seems to "flow" under the wing at the leading edge join.

Thus, I decided it might be best to join the two wing panels together first, then plum the wheel well interiors. The wing main spar is one continuous piece that holds the two panels together. However, to do that, I would first need to finish the cockpit interior as I figured that I needed to gain access to some of the interiors of the opening that will serve as the cockpit and the two wing panels would get in my way with my heavy handedness and big thumbs. Then, I realized that the pilot's seat also sticks out higher than the surrounding sliding canopy rails. This meant the pilot's seat would be one of the last items installed prior to the canopy. Thus, I figured that I decided that I would finish the fuselage planking as far as possible and get all of the sanding out of the way so none of the saw dust would enter the cockpit interior and so it goes...... all the way down the rabbit hole.

Attachments

• P-51 belly & wing join # 1A.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 50
In the beginning I didn't pay much attention to the belly scoop area as I figured that with the outline of the Guillow's model coming fairly close to the overall outline of the scale drawing, other than the thickness of the nose area and a few other places, that the model was accurate in cross-section as well.... Wrong.

As you can see from the earlier stages of construction, and the start of infilling, that the belly scoop area is very rounded. That last picture shows the model fuselage upside down looking from the nose to tail. In the background is the belly scoop that is very rounded. Again, I didn't think it would be that big of a deal until I started looking into the variable inlet vent doors to the coolant radiator and oil radiator.

Attachments

• P-51 26.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 56
  • P-51 52.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 50
  • P-51 belly scoop -model # 3A.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 51
Looking at the scale drawing of the Mustang and the cross section, the belly scoop area is indeed "squarish" in appearance from the inlet scoop back to the tail wheel where the underside of the fuselage resumes its rounded shape. But the drawings alone didn't tell me all of the details I needed to know. Thus more research and more photos to help me achieve a more clearer picture of what needed to be done.

Attachments

• P-51 belly scale drawing # 3A.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 49
  • P-51 belly scale drawing # 1A.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 47
Here, you can see several photos of the full sized "D" Mustang and the variable inlet ramp/door. They show a lot of information for me as a modeler and yet I still needed more to help me determine how best to approach the method of detailing the underside belly scoop.

Do I just cut a small slot and then install the variable door?
Do I perform major surgery and cut out a large area to include the ramp, revealing the radiator cooling grill, and the variable inlet door? If so, where do I start cutting? How far and how much to cut away?

For this, I resorted to using photos of plastic models as a guide to help give me some additional information that would give me an overall picture in my mind.

Attachments

• P-51 belly scoopA.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 48
  • P-51 fuselage infill # 22A.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 51
  • P-51 fuselage infill # 11A.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 55
  • P-51 fuselage infill # 12A.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 52
Looking at the plastic models, I could see how the variable inlet door was positioned. The second picture helped me to determine that how the door was to be posed in the open position, but still did not reveal how best to construct the overall ramp and whether or not to simply cut a small slot for an opening and then install the door. The last photo really hit the hammer on the nail for me. It showed that with the variable inlet door completely closed, the ramp was still easily seen permitting airflow, even at a restricted level. Now I had my answer.

In addition to squaring off the underside of the fuselage at the belly scoop area I now knew that I would also face ......

Major surgery...... (sigh)

Attachments

• P-51 wheel well & wing outlines # 52A.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 45
  • P-51 fuselage belly scoop -model # 13A.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 50
  • P-51 belly scoop -model # 12A.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 49
To start with the squaring of the underside, I decided to double up on my planking of the fuselage and then "sand down to shape" like a sculpture chipping away blocks of stone (in my case, sanding away) to reveal the work of art underneath. This was a major undertaking; and to think I thought just a few simple infills here and some detailing there would result in a really super detailed Mustang. This doubling of planking also had unattended consequences. The plastic canopy and windshield, along with the nose cowl that came with the kit would not fit the (now) widened fuselage. Ouch!

Here the first two pictures reveal the initial stages of double planking. I wanted to leave some of the fuselage left opened to help facilitate my access to the cockpit interior. That wasn't to be.

The third photo shows I also decided to paint the bare interior black. The idea behind this is so when I start adding the interior walls and other accessories to the cockpit, none of the bleached white balsa wood would show through between the cracks.

It was at this stage, that I decided to check the fit of the plastic cowl. As can be seen in the last picture, the fattened fuselage is really starting to show how tight the fit will be. I can still see some "wiggle room" left on the cowl and I was grateful for that.

Attachments

• P-51 cockpit -model # 2A.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 59
  • P-51 cockpit -model # 3A.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 61
  • P-51 cockpit -model # 7A.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 59
  • P-51 cockpit -model # 9A.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 56
To get a really good jump start on the double planking, I decided to use a large sheet along the whole length of the fuselage since most of it is slab sided at this point. It's from there, that I used small strips of balsa to account for the tight curves around the top and bottom potions.

Attachments

• P-51 fuselage infill # 7A.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 54
  • P-51 fuselage infill # 8A.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 54
Looking closely, you can see how the original infill is being covered up with another layer of balsa planking over the belly scoop area near the wing. Despite the added workload, the second layer is actually easy to do since there is not as much trimming and fitting in between stringers and formers. With each additional cut of balsa, it looks as though it disappears and the whole layer becomes one piece instead of a multiple set of pieces laminated together.

Attachments

• P-51 fuselage infill # 4A.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 51
  • P-51 fuselage infill # 5A.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 52
  • P-51 fuselage infill # 6A.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 46
The top decking immediately behind the canopy area really got my attention. The first picture shows it in rough stages. The second picture shows the same decking after the initial sanding. I was saying to myself at this point, that it would almost be a shame to cover up such a beautiful work of art of wood. Reminded me of those popular wooden boats cruising around the lakes with their laminated woods. I thought why didn't they have a Mustang made of laminated woods? With a coating of varnish, it would look so beautiful!

I continued to sand to smooth out the small dents and undulations of the surface for a consistent finish. By then, the beautiful laminated woods almost disappeared.

Attachments

• P-51 fuselage infill # 16A.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 44
  • P-51 fuselage infill # 19A.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 51
At this point, the double planking is almost complete. As you can see, the fuselage is really starting to "fatten" up compared to the scale drawing in the background. I also decided to test-fit the plastic front cowl and the plastic canopy.

The second picture shows the cowl still fits, but its very tight. This is good, as it minimizes my workload in having to blend it in with the fuselage with filler material.

The last picture shows the plastic windshield is (now) too small. You can just notice along the edge of the front windshield that the balsa wood is now sticking out. I have two choices: sand down the sides of the fuselage to match the windshield, Or......

Attachments

• P-51 fuselage infill # 17A.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 54
  • P-51 fuselage nose & plastic # 1A.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 52
  • P-51 cockpit -model # 10A.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 49
Simply push down the plastic and have it spread out. As you can see from my thumb, it is "squishing" the windshield down and out. Sometimes finesse is not always the answer. Just plain old fashion brute force.

Attachments

• P-51 cockpit -model # 11A.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 45
As you can see from the model overlaid on top of the drawing where the belly scoop is located, the extra planking really shows how "fat" the fuselage has become. You can also see where the variable outlet vent is to be located, as well as the oil cooling vent and tail wheel. They're almost hidden behind all that extra wood.

Now comes the "sanding to shape" of the fuselage. I am hoping that my ideas will work. The first picture shows the belly scoop before I sanded it flat. This photo shows the fuselage upside down and you are looking directly at the belly scoop from the nose to the tail in the background.

The model and block of sand paper is obviously posed for this picture but it shows what my intentions are to achieve that "squarish and flattened" look on the underside of the fuselage. It is also to illustrate my reasons for adding the double planking in the first place. From this point, I'll just keep sanding away -like a sculpture chipping away his block of stone- to reveal the "new" shape of the fuselage.

Attachments

• P-51 fuselage infill # 18A.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 40
  • P-51 fuselage belly -model (before) # 1A.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 40
  • P-51 fuselage belly -model # 4A.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread