Supermarine Spitfire Mk I Tamiya 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hotntot

Senior Airman
Mar 7, 2010
United Kingdom
Here's a Tamiya 1/48 kit just recently finished. I decided to have a go at cutting and altering the wing flaps to add some interest as I planned to display the model 'in flight'. It was my first attempt at doing that so I was a bit nervous of the results I'd get. The kit went together very well with no filling needed which allowed me to concentrate on getting to grips with the camouflage scheme and all the techniques I needed (need) to learn.

First off on the spraying front was to start on the underside - putting on the sky and then the black on the port wing and also the green in the wheel wells. Getting to the point of putting on the colours took a while as I poured over other model examples and searched various web and book sources to check on the exact colours used for the period - 1941/2 - and then converting them into the best Humbrol match.

IMG_8783c.jpg

IMG_8800c.jpg

Once the two top camouflge colours were on - Dark Earth and Dark Green - I then did some shading which I was reasonably pleased with for a first attempt.

IMG_8775c.jpg

IMG_8780c.jpg

Then it was on to the gloss coat, all the decal application with some micro sol which did a nice job of sitting them down on the surfaces. Adding all the delicate external bits that would otherwise get knocked off or damaged, some touching up, then a clear coat again in preparation for some weathering before a final matt coat.

IMG_9414c.jpg

IMG_9384c.jpg

While proudly sitting out on display it's collected a little dust.

IMG_9388c.jpg

The decals on the underside were tricky to sit properly over the bulges on the wings. But that was probably down to my technique needing some improvement.

IMG_9390c.jpg

IMG_9392c.jpg

IMG_9402c.jpg

IMG_9405c.jpg

The port side of the front windscreen section has some slight damage. A lesson learnt on taking more care with clear parts; it doesn't take much to cause irreparable damage and long term despair when things go wrong.

IMG_9408c.jpg

IMG_9412c.jpg

Last edited:
Very good first effort! One thing though - both ailerons are equally deflected. In a left bank, the port aileron would be up, and the starboard down.

both ailerons are equally deflected. In a left bank, the port aileron would be up, and the starboard down.

...thanks guys. Good point Airframes, all part of the learning curve.

Last edited:
You're welcome mate. If you want to be really authentic, the canopy would either be fully open, or fully closed. If only part open, it caused severe buffeting and other unpleasant effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back