Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Will_Derby

Airman
Dec 30, 2009
I was just wondering if anyone could answer a little issue i have come across while building this Spit.

My main issue is that i cannot seem to be able to get the undercarrage Wheels to fit into the hole cut. They seems to stick out at a 45 degree angle however i try to get them in.

My second issue is that there isnt a hole cut (probibly a fault to my own model ) for my trailing wheel...i will try to add some pictures in a short while if that would help you help me : )

All help appriciated

Thanks
Will

BTW...Spitfire model but .....of what firm is it?

Oh.. I have just found out the Spifire kit was of Airfix, wasn't it? But of what scale 1/72? If yes and it is the old one I remember that kit. No wonder you can't fit the wheels.

Last edited:
The Model is an Airfix one and it is 1/72 scale. Have you produced the model your self then wurger? and if so...how did you get the wheels to fit? im thinking cut the tyres in half....but im not sure.

So here are some pictures of the absent trailing wheel hole-

SNC12955.jpg

SNC12952.jpg

And here are some pictures of the Wheel which wont fit into the wing.

SNC12950.jpg

SNC12949.jpg

SNC12947.jpg

Hope these help

Thanks

Will

Sure....il get that take for tommorow....my laptop and myself are about out of batteries : ) but as far as i can see there isnt anything that would stop the wheels entering the bays.

Oh I see now. What you may want to try is take a piece of sandpaper and sand down the part of the gear that goes into the wheel or vice versa. It may be the wheel and a piece sticking out from the spure?

Tailwheel is there any part of gear that was provided or just a wheel?

Will, first of all, the tail wheel locating hole. This is probably 'flashed over', which could have been opened before joing the fuselage halves. Now, make a hole (carefully) with a small drill if you have one, or the point of your scalpel or craft knife. Make this just ever so slightly larger than the locating 'peg' at the end of the tail wheel leg.
Now, the main wheel wells.
I'm afraid this kit has its origins in the second ever kit, and the very first aircraft kit Airfix produced, back in the early 1950's !! (I built it then - a few times!!). It was designed to be built with the undercarriage in the 'Down' position, and the original instructions advised to leave off the wheels, and paint the inside of the wheel wells black, where the 'axle' would form the shape of the wheel, making it look like the wheels were inside the bays.
Airfix now have a much better Spit MkIX in this scale, but I believe yours is from the 'Dogfight Doubles' kit, originally released in the 1960's, which still uses the old Spit and Bf110.

The Model is an Airfix one and it is 1/72 scale. Have you produced the model your self then wurger? and if so...how did you get the wheels to fit? im thinking cut the tyres in half....but im not sure.

Will

Hello Will again,

Now all is clear. This is the Airfix old kit. I think it's the worst kit of Spitfire Mk.IX has ever been released.These rivet lines , cavities etc.... The wing is the solid one ..isn't it?.
To answer your question..yes I have ... a many many years ago.
The main problem of the kit is the the solid wing has too "shallow" wheel bays. I assum you want to make the landing main gear retraced...am I right?
The problem can be solved in a few ways. The first way is to pierce the wing at the bays areas.But you have to make it sure firstly that the wing thickness at the area can guarantee the correct "deepness" of the bay.As memo serves the wing is quite thin.Then use files in order to correct the bay shape and then add the bay "roof" made of thing plastic sheet. Of course the bay "roof" has to be the upper wing surface.As a result you have to use some putty and sandpaper for sanding.
The second way is like your one.You can sand these wheels down in a half of their thickness.You have to remember that the tyres have to be sanded down more that their halves. The main reason of that are the landing gear wheel doors. Also you can me send via Private Message your regular mail address.I should have somewhere the retracted halves of the landing gear.So If I find them you will have them at your hands in a few days.However you may need to fit them a little bit.
The third way is you can make these bays "deeper" milling them .But I don't suggest it at the model stage.
The last way is to throw the model out and buy the new one of the new Airfix series or one of other manufacturers.

Hopping it will help you.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Yes it is the 'Dogfight Double' Spitfire. it seems abit daft of Airfix to design a plane that (On the Artwork and the other Diagrams in the manual and Box) shows the landing gear up and then you have to build it in the down postion.
I have got a small hand powered drill (you know one of the old ones) with a set of small drill bits, so i think i will have a look for a sutable size.
Yes wurger i was hoping to build the gear so that it was retracted. The first spitfire i made was a very simple build and i managed to do this quick and easerly. But now looking at the undercarages of the too models you can see a difference. As for sorting the problem...i think i may have a crack at cuting and sanding the wheels to make them fit into the wheel bays....if this fails then i will just add in the landing gear without the wheels attached....or use Airframes suggestion.

Thanks for all suggestions and help :)
All is appresiated

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back