Spitfire Mk V Aileron Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Hey, All,
I am finishing up the Tamiya 1/48 Spitfire Mk V. I picked up the UltraCast control surface kit. I have all the molded in surfaces removed. It hit me as I was test fitting the ailerons..... deflection of the ailerons in the up versus down direction. Is this a linear deflection? e.g banking to the right, right aileron deflects up 10 degrees for example. Will the left aileron deflect down to 10 degrees as well? From my radio control days, I seem to remember for high performance pattern planes, the deflection up versus down was NOT linear. Can anyone of you Spitfire fans give me an idea or is this a detail that is just not worth sweating?
Thanks,
Dale

Last edited by a moderator:
The Spitfire Mk.V wing was "equipped" with aerofoil of NACA 2200 series. The NACA 2213 at the winf root and the NACA2208 at the wing tip. The AOA ( angle of attack ) for the root aerofoil was 2 degrees and the AOA for tip one was a half degree. So there was not an aerodynamic twist only but also a geometric one of the wing. Many manufactures of kits forget about this feature of the wing construction. As a result there might appear a problem of fitting aftermarket parts to the main kit ones, especially if one manufacturer forgot about anything while the second one didn't. However the difference between AOA of 2 degrees and a half degree one can be unnoticeable for the 1/48 scale. But usually the problem appaers with rasin parts that can be bended often because of a heat for instance. This is my opinion.

I agree. Also, in general practice, the control surfaces are not normally displaced on the ground, if the aircraft is standing for more than the time it takes to re-arm etc, or at 'Readiness'. A control lock was fixed to the column and side of the seat, to prevent damage by wind gusts and so on, when the aircraft was not in use, or available for immediate use.
In addition, flaps were never lowered whilst on the ground, unless for servicing reasons, and it was actually a chargeable offence to taxi with flaps lowered, for example.
If a 'Spit' was at 'Readiness', or waiting for flight, then the elevators could sometimes be seen in the doen position, which was normally due to the pilot's helmet and oxygen mask being draped over the top of the control column, which was pushed forward to aid faster access.

Hey, Airframes,
I agree with you on all you said about surfaces and flaps. I usually kick the rudder and the elevators when I am looking to add that little extra "click" to a kit. I sometimes move the ailerons in a very subtle manner. I almost never lower flaps unless I am doing a maintenance diorama kind of thing. But, I have not done one of those in YEARS. I need to look into a simple diorama for this Spit. Now, having said all of this...... this is my 1st build in over 20 yrs. I am having a ball, relearning patience, and plain having fun.
I just shot a couple of pics of the removal of the surfaces. I think I'll post them tonight.
Later,
Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back