T Bolt's 1:1 P-47 Cockpit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That looking real neat Glenn, glad to see you're getting back into the swing of things.

When's the first flight ? :lol:

I made up the decal sheet for the switch panel. I have at least 2 of everything in case of mishaps. I still need to clear coat it a couple of times, then comes the tedious job of cutting them all out and applying them to the panel.

T-Bolt....is it me or are some of the labels misspelled?? I

T-Bolt....is it me or are some of the labels misspelled?? I

I noticed that too:

"INCRESE PRESSURS"
"INSTREMRNT LIGHTS"
"LAND LT. MORTOR"

Sorry to be anal.
Thanks for catching it guys. I can type pretty fast with two fingers but I make a lot of mistakes. Being the worlds worst speller and slightly dyslexic doesn't help ether. I just don't understand why the Excel spell check didn't catch it. I just ran it again and it said it was OK.
You guys caught it just in time. The decal sheet I posted the picture of didn't fair so well when I applied the seal coat of Future. Even though the blocks were black there must have been some color in the ink because red bled into the white lettering and I'm going to have to reprint it this weekend making sure I check the box that says "Print From Black Ink Cartridge Only"

Glenn, I've found Future is a pain for sealing decals made on a PC printer. Get a spray can of acrylic varnish, which won't attack the inks (Vallejo is good, and often supplied by the same people who supply decal sheet.) - but leave well alone whilst it dries, as any interference can easily cause smudges!

Hello T-Bolt and all ! :lol:

I have a problem: by looking at your fuses, me reports me that mine are false.

Indeed, I based myself on those of FSX, now they are too big

402r.jpg

Could you give yourself the exact quotations of a fuse with one or two photos? It shall help me well!

pc314048.jpg

You can put that here or on my P47 Razorback comment.

Thank you T-Bolt your panel look's good ! :)

Well yesterday I finally took out a second mortgage on the house and bought a genuine stick grip on eBay. It wasn't the most expensive thing I've bought for the cockpit, but it takes a close second to the windscreen, and hopefully is the last big ticket item I need to buy. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to mount it on the stick I already have that began life as the top rail of a chain link fence.

Pictures when it arrives and I have it mounted.

Last edited:
Good man !

Now stop typing and get back to work !

Gary, you shamed me in to starting work again, so tonight I spent some time down in the basement.
First, a couple of pics showing progress since I last posted:

Pic 1 The primer pump/recognition light switch panel, and oxygen sub panel mounted (Sorry about being out of focus. No tripod)

Pic 2 The decal on the Throttle quadrant placard did not last. I was going to re-make this anyway so this time I will use the same decaling method I used on the main panel and it should last.

Now on to tonights work. Not much, but it's a start:

Pic 3 The bomb/Tank release panel under construction. I don't want to drill the holes for the switches until I have them, which should be by this weekend.

Pic 4 I did a lot of measuring and made up the templates for the fuselage side ribs, which will be cut out of ¾" wood, and covered with aluminum where they show.

The remaining pics are of my kids goofing around in the cockpit tonight.

P4204735.JPG
P4204736.JPG
P4204734.JPG
P4204738.JPG
P4204720.JPG
P4204723.JPG
P4204719.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys. If feels good to be back working on the 47.

I took the day off and spent a good portion of it down in the basement. Making the patterns for the ribs was a lot more difficult than I had thought it would be. There was a lot of measuring and fitting involved to make sure the windscreen sits properly, and that everything lines up with the two front formers that are already there.

Picture 1 ) The finished patterns test fitted to the cockpit structure.

Picture 2 ) The ribs rough cut out of poplar. There's still is a lot of fitting and trimming to do.

The stick grip came in the mail today while I was in the middle of cutting out the ribs, so naturally I dropped everything and went to work to fit it to the stick.

Pictures 3 4 ) The grip as I unwrapped it. It's in excellent condition. Even better than I thought it would be.

Picture 5) A test fitting showed that the diameter of the pipe I used for the stick was a little too big.

Picture 6 ) the stick after 2 hours of work with a file to thin it down. Don't want to have to do that again!

Pictures 7 8 ) The grip installed!

101 P4224739.JPG
102 P4224753.JPG
103 P4224744.JPG
104 P4224742.JPG
105 P4224747.JPG
106 P4224748.JPG
106 P4224749.JPG
109 P4224755.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back