T Bolts WW I Airplanes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glenn, Terry, Vic.....I have the rigging notes somewhere for the SE5a.

A REALLY neat trick would be to slightly slacken (try saying that ten times quickly whilst drunk) the flying wires for ground based model..

I think I would go with the olive cowl and white rudder. Not as flashy, but probably closer to the truth. I was giving the streaking on the fuselage a lot of thought when I put the model aside (Realized that it was somewhat larger than 1/48 scale and put it away teed-off that I has put so much work in it) What I had planed was similar to the wood grain. Spray on an enamel base coat of a tan color then go over it with acrylic olive with a wide stiff brush, continuing to brush it as the paint dried leaving the streaks. If remember right I had the fuselage complete and the wings ready to install. I should pull it out just to see if the olive streaking will work. If it turns into a disaster the loss is only about $6 and the time I put in on the kit all those years ago. If it works I can get one of the newer kits and do it up right. That is if I can sneak it in the house. I have the same problem as you Vic in that regards. Although the Super Corsair I brought home last week didn't go over too bad. She couldn't pass up a deal that big either!

I have, all 1/48:

Eduard Fokker DVII Royal Class
Eduard Albatros DIII
Eduard Albatros DV
Eduard Nieuport 17
Eduard Fokker Dr.1 Dual Combo
Roden S.E.5a Wolseley Wiper
Roden S.E.5.a Hispano Suiza

Post them Jan! We could have dueling WW I biplane threads. I still have a lot I haven't taken pictures of yet! You'd probably blow me away as mine are mostly the cheepy Smer type kits made straight from the box. I bought a few of the newer kits but never got around to making them.

Ansaldo SVA 5 Smer 1/48

This was a kit I bought from the used rack. It had no decals so decided to finish it as an Italian machine that I had a color drawing of in one of my reference books. I have since found the other pictures I posted here and I wish I had when I built the model, they would have been helpful. It is a very basic model, but went together with out any major problem. The SVA 5 is a very graceful looking machine with a slender fuselage that tapers to a wedge shaped section near the tail, and bird like wings that remind me somewhat of the Nieuport Bebe.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
P5222107.JPG
P5222108.JPG
P5222109.JPG
P5222110.JPG
P5222111.JPG
P5222112.JPG
P5222114.JPG
P5222115.JPG
P5222116.JPG
P5222117.JPG

Last edited:
Nice one Glenn, I don't blame you for going with a simpler scheme as some of the fuselage markings carried by SVA.5's were really elaborate. Your model appears to have post WW2 Italian roundels though, I think the red/white/green were transposed on WW1 machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back