T Bolts WW I Airplanes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A couple of beauties there Glenn. I've got a SMER SE5A to build for my 56 Sqn collection. Apart from the roundels and serial numbers moulded into the parts, it's a neat little kit, and for under £5 (less than $3), well worth it.

I've got that SE5A kit Terry. In fact I was planing on posting it next. It is an OK kit though very basic, not at all in the same league as the Sopwith tri-plane kit. Watch out for the Smer camel kit though. I built that one and it needs a lot of work. I used a whole tube of thick superglue as filler on it, mostly under the lower wing.

Thanks Glenn. Doubt I'll be doing a Camel in 1/48th, although might in 1/32nd scale. I'll be adding a lot of scratch-built detail to the SE5, as you're right, it's basic. But for that price, it's a great starting point for a good model. (can't be worse than the Buc.....)

No its defiantly a nice little kit that has a lot of potential for improvement. I made these bi-plane kits at the time when both my kids were in diapers and I was working a lot of hours. Not a lot of free time. They were great simple little kits that I could work on for a little wile after dinner every couple of days and still finish in a couple of weeks, and they still looked good when I was done. The few major projects I started at that time are still in the box. I really should get back to them! Now that I think about it I have a 1/48th B-24D that's all ready for finial assembly and paint that's been sitting in the box for 8 years!

Another fine biplane Glenn, those old 50's and 60's kits build up really well don't they? Just the rigging to add and it'll be finished, then. ;)

SE5A Smer 1/48
This is the one Terry and I were talking about earlier in the thread. Not nearly as good a kit as the Smer Sopwith Triplane. The tail planes and struts seem overly thick and the kit is pretty basic, but it came out looking OK straight from the box, and has a lot of potential for someone who wants to do extra work such as new struts and maybe even scratch building or thinning down the tail planes.
I just now noticed while getting ready to post the pictures that I lost some pieces of decal on the rudder. I'll have to touch that up.

804.jpg
P5222087.JPG
P5222088.JPG
P5222089.JPG
P5222090.JPG
P5222091.JPG
P5222092.JPG
P5222093.JPG
P5222094.JPG
P5222095.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work Glenn, and it helps me a lot. I can now see what needs doing where - quite a bit of thinning of the struts, and some detail work, especially the Lewis gun and Foster mounting.

Looks like I have quite a choice in the whole color scheme!
Google Image Result for http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/voss/F1-103-17-02.jpg

Nice article, doesn't quite reflect the whole bitterness of the debate..but still.

I've held the yellow rudder back in 1999. It is a late model and is definately NOT Voss'. It is, according to my mate at IWM, also NOT the one that the Rysdavids family donated. I would vote for an olive cowl myself. If the rudder is not yellow there is less reason for the nose to be. And you will get a million opinions on orthochromatic film vagaries.

...Break..

Nice SE5a too. Jarvis scored three or four in that aircraft...but of course it's main fame comes from being incorrectly included in the Voss fight.

Having seen the great job you do on wood, I'm looking forward to seeing your olive streaking on the Voss tripe.

cheers

Darryl

Last edited:
I meant to come back and have a closer look at the thread a couple weeks back and never got to it, you got a trio of nice bi-planes there Glenn. Like Terry with the SE 5a I did one for my 56 Sqn build way back when with rather cumbersome rigging. Now I'm sort of looking for a replacement, but I have to be crafty as I've so many kits in the stack, another one will possibly tip the tolerance button.........
b0703.gif

:hotsun: :hotsun:

but I have to be crafty as I've so many kits in the stack, another one will possibly tip the tolerance button.........
b0703.gif

Vic,

I usually wait until an "unauthorised" recent item arrives and then loudly swear and curse about "how long it has taken to arrive" .... That seems to stall any questions on "yet another...????"

8)

Vic,

I usually wait until an "unauthorised" recent item arrives and then loudly swear and curse about "how long it has taken to arrive" .... That seems to stall any questions on "yet another...????"
8)

I got away with something like that the other day while we were out looking for paint samples for the lounge. The guy in the shop was an aircraft modeller and we got talking and I mentioned how much cheaper it was to get stuff over the net including post cost and slipped in how I just ordered a load of paint from UK that was not known about, it worked a treat. :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back