Tailfin from F-14 washes ashore in Ireland! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Strange things have been washing ashore for millenia....

As a matter of fact, whilst doing some beach recon in Kuwait many moons ago, my swim buddy and I came across three 50 gallon drums.... Thought to be some sort of homemade bombs, we had EOD come in and open them up....

Turns out there were 3 young men inside them....

lesofprimus said:
Turns out there were 3 young men inside them....
Lovely.

As for the F-14 thing, can a Tomcat maintain enough control with just one fin? If it actually broke off of one, you'd think the whole thing might've thundered in, wouldn't you?

in the same vein as Les's barrel people
BUDAPEST (Reuters) - Hungarian builders who drank their way to the bottom of a huge barrel of rum while renovating a house got a nasty surprise when a pickled corpse tumbled out of the empty barrel, a police magazine website reported.

According to online magazine www.zsaru.hu, workers in Szeged in the south of Hungary tried to move the barrel after they had drained it, only to find it was surprisingly heavy and were shocked when the body of a naked man fell out.

The website said that the body of the man had been shipped back from Jamaica 20 years ago by his wife in the barrel of rum in order to avoid the cost and paperwork of an official return.

According to the website, workers said the rum in the 300-litre barrel had a "special taste" so they even decanted a few bottles of the liquor to take home.

The wife has since died and the man was buried in a proper grave.

Nonskimmer said:
Lovely.

As for the F-14 thing, can a Tomcat maintain enough control with just one fin? If it actually broke off of one, you'd think the whole thing might've thundered in, wouldn't you?

I'd think there would be handling issues but it would still be flyable. The Israeli's had a F-15 that in a collision had theright wing sheared off at the engine/wing joint - the pilot flew the aircraft home and landed (@ 250mph). All controls on a F-14 are integrated and should provide enough control input to allow a safe flight though a carrier landing might be hairy.

wmaxt

wmaxt said:
I'd think there would be handling issues but it would still be flyable. The Israeli's had a F-15 that in a collision had theright wing sheared off at the engine/wing joint - the pilot flew the aircraft home and landed (@ 250mph). All controls on a F-14 are integrated and should provide enough control input to allow a safe flight though a carrier landing might be hairy.

wmaxt
Hmmm, true enough I suppose. I do remember reading about that Israeli F-15.

If this plane can land, an F-14 with a missing rudder assembly can certainly make it back to a runway/deck somewhere...

Attachments

• midaircollision1.jpg
    midaircollision1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 179
I hate saying this but everyone is assuming that the F14 made it home. Its more than likely that it didn't and the wreckage after floating around for possibly years finally hit land.

Losing a tailfin is a major maintence event. Someone would have had to report it.

Plus the paint was still in fairly good shape. If this indeed was ana ctual tailfin, then the seperation from the airframe had to have happened within several months..

I do recall the article also said there were no barnacles on the fin either, so it would have to have been a recent event. There is always the possibility that it was a piece of an airplane that may have been dumped overboard from a maintenance crew.

Just in from AVWeb...
A ten-foot section of vertical stabilizer from a crashed F-14 washed up in Ireland after apparently traveling 4,900 miles from the crash site off Florida. Squadron insignia and serial numbers were still legible and the Navy confirmed the part came from the Tomcat that crashed in 2002.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back