Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1 Corsair in process. USMC VMF-213 livery

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bdefen

Senior Airman
Nov 26, 2019
Boise, Idaho USA
Keeping busy during covid and inclement weather.....

Attachments

• PB100002.JPG
    PB100002.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
  • PB130001.JPG
    PB130001.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 161
  • PB130002.JPG
    PB130002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 157
Thanks.
Hey, does anybody know which Corsair component is in the center of the fuselage underside between the exhaust pipes aft of the towing hook? Looks like it's on the bottom of the supercharger..

Attachments

• PB130002.JPG
    PB130002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
My knowledge of US Navy / Marine aircraft markings of the period is a bit thin, but should there be a star insignia on top of each wing ?

Thanks for the ID of that part underneath. I had seen some photos that showed that airbox as black/dark like exhaust pipes, and other photos that showed it the same color as the rest of the underside. I suppose a few backfires could show a bit of carbon/exhaust streaking (perhaps a weathering item, eh?)

Crimea River's nice color photo gives me some more weathering ideas.

Thanks to all for your help!!

If you are going to weather the fabric surfaces differently than the metal surfaces (a most excellent idea!) be sure to take your fabric all the way to the outer edge of the wing - as shown in the photo. Too often modelers notice that after they think they've finished weathering!

Cheers,

Dana

Nice hint at the weathering differences! I had read that the Corsair did have some fabric-covered outer-surface areas. What portions of the wings, rudder, and horizontal stabilizer are fabric covered, and how does the weathering there differ from the aluminum-covered surfaces. (I'll bet Crimea River's photo above shows it, right?)

The Corsair in the photo above is my example.

Got the first bit of weathering first coat done. Aluminum chipping with a sponge and thinned Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminum. Brushed what I think are the fabric sections with a wash consisting of @ 80% Vallejo-type thinner, 10% 71.279 Insignia White. 5% each of 71.109 Faded P.R.U. Blue (blue gray). Added some more of the blues to the brushed wash for the remainder of the top side, and the blue sections underneath. Brushed the same thinner, 90%, and 10% Insignia White for the gray underside. Will apply a light coat of Vallejo Matt Medium before the oil streaking, exhaust stain process. Will use a combination of oil paints and pastel chalks for that phase.

Canopy, radio mast, and propeller will go on last.

Attachments

• PB250005.JPG
    PB250005.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
  • PB250004.JPG
    PB250004.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
  • PB250007.JPG
    PB250007.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
  • PB250001.JPG
    PB250001.JPG